Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pandanus amaryllifolius/ Pandan edible spice?

Posted by sultry_jasmine_night Florida z9 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 11:44

Hi, I found a place that carries this spice. I was wondering who else grows this and how to you use it? I read that you can use it for Jasmine rice..Do you just steep the leaves in with the rice or do you use the root?
What else can you use it for?
Also what growing conditions do you grow it in (sun or shade/ how much water etc.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pandanus amaryllifolius/ Pandan edible spice?

Use only the leaves. There's a really neat thai dish call kai hor bai toey (pandan wrapped chicken); and also desserts (pretty much anything that vanilla flavoring would be ok for).

Super fresh intact leaves may not have any aroma at all; the aroma only develops when the leaves are slightly oxidized from macerating or wilting.

The growing conditions is a little tricky. Need lots of water (grows by the creek in Thailand) but the crown will rot if it gets wet; so planting in a sunny and windy spot is key.

To give you an idea of how much water is needed; mine has absolutely thrived in an always damp pot without drainage holes, whereas previous attempts with regular pots have always dried out.

Also does not tolerate cold at all; and may even wither away in 50s weather.

Good luck!

This post was edited by farm96744 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 22:22

o

Had a remarkable experience today! I've always thought the variety amaryllifolius is reputed to be the only one pandanus with aromatic leaves (Thai desserts).

But I no longer believe that!

I was walking around the Bishop Hawaiian Museum today which had several groves of large and tall and decidedly non amaryllifolius-looking pandanus trees (which have been used since antiquity by the polynesians), and there was unmistakably the scent of pandan (similar to fresh baked bread which has the identical compound). Faint but there.

Since there was neither a bakery nor any amaryllifolius in sight (I checked);

the scent must be present in all? pandanus and the amaryllifolius domesticated variety (it doesn't flower anymore and propagates solely through cuttings) must have been deliberately selected over time for its concentrated scent and dwarf growth! Same as many domesticated crops. Truly mindblowing.

o

Very interesting farm96744 on the other varieties also having the scent!

I wonder if you could grow it by a pond waterfall or little stream? I am in the planning stages of a pond right now so maybe this plant could work with it. I have a little plant bog right now that I grow some water plants in and also some that just like a lot of moisture. Thanks for all the info :)

o

would certainly do well in a pond waterfall! I've seen them grow semi-wild alongside streams some even partially immersed (as long as the crown stays dry).

i wonder if you could train it into a mini pandanus tectorius look by stripping out the bottom leaves gradually... mine puts out a fair amount of struts/prop roots. that'll give it a neat polynesian look.

o

That would be a neat look! I love the look of the roots coming up-very tropical. All you need is some tikis, some torches, and a icy blender of fruity drinks :P

o

Where did you find the pandanus being sold as a plant? I would love to get my hands on it. Please email me or attach a link for this plant.

Thanks,

ZoeMom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here