Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

Pandanus amaryllifolius/ Pandan edible spice?

Hi, I found a place that carries this spice. I was wondering who else grows this and how to you use it? I read that you can use it for Jasmine rice..Do you just steep the leaves in with the rice or do you use the root?
What else can you use it for?
Also what growing conditions do you grow it in (sun or shade/ how much water etc.)

Comments (8)

• farm96744
    10 years ago

Use only the leaves. There's a really neat thai dish call kai hor bai toey (pandan wrapped chicken); and also desserts (pretty much anything that vanilla flavoring would be ok for).

Super fresh intact leaves may not have any aroma at all; the aroma only develops when the leaves are slightly oxidized from macerating or wilting.

The growing conditions is a little tricky. Need lots of water (grows by the creek in Thailand) but the crown will rot if it gets wet; so planting in a sunny and windy spot is key.

To give you an idea of how much water is needed; mine has absolutely thrived in an always damp pot without drainage holes, whereas previous attempts with regular pots have always dried out.

Also does not tolerate cold at all; and may even wither away in 50s weather.

Good luck!

This post was edited by farm96744 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 22:22

• farm96744
    10 years ago

Had a remarkable experience today! I've always thought the variety amaryllifolius is reputed to be the only one pandanus with aromatic leaves (Thai desserts).

But I no longer believe that!

I was walking around the Bishop Hawaiian Museum today which had several groves of large and tall and decidedly non amaryllifolius-looking pandanus trees (which have been used since antiquity by the polynesians), and there was unmistakably the scent of pandan (similar to fresh baked bread which has the identical compound). Faint but there.

Since there was neither a bakery nor any amaryllifolius in sight (I checked);

the scent must be present in all? pandanus and the amaryllifolius domesticated variety (it doesn't flower anymore and propagates solely through cuttings) must have been deliberately selected over time for its concentrated scent and dwarf growth! Same as many domesticated crops. Truly mindblowing.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very interesting farm96744 on the other varieties also having the scent!

I wonder if you could grow it by a pond waterfall or little stream? I am in the planning stages of a pond right now so maybe this plant could work with it. I have a little plant bog right now that I grow some water plants in and also some that just like a lot of moisture. Thanks for all the info :)

• farm96744
    9 years ago

would certainly do well in a pond waterfall! I've seen them grow semi-wild alongside streams some even partially immersed (as long as the crown stays dry).

i wonder if you could train it into a mini pandanus tectorius look by stripping out the bottom leaves gradually... mine puts out a fair amount of struts/prop roots. that'll give it a neat polynesian look.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That would be a neat look! I love the look of the roots coming up-very tropical. All you need is some tikis, some torches, and a icy blender of fruity drinks :P

• Martiniquehome , Zone 10, San Diego, CA
    9 years ago

Where did you find the pandanus being sold as a plant? I would love to get my hands on it. Please email me or attach a link for this plant.

Thanks,

ZoeMom

• Tamiya #1 (AU, SG, MY & ZZZzzzz...)
    8 years ago

Fwiw pandan scented rice is not same as jasmine rice... jasmine rice has its own unique fragrancy, I use jasmine rice to cook with pandan leaves too. Boiling it right now... heavenly scent :)

as for the pandan plant... a healthy thriving pandan bush doesn't really smell like what we expect from foodstuff, it barely has any smell at all... UNTIL the plant is under stress. Crush the leaves or cut & bundle the leaves to let dry in your car/drawers/cupboard/etc and it'll release its smell.

sadly 1 of my plants started smelling strongly over the weekend... sure enough it's gone soggy rotten :'( am in temperate zone, was real hot all summer until sudden cool change & heavy rains, it got left where it got wet overnight.