Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beggingpardon

typical asian plants

beggingpardon
18 years ago

I am doing an Asian themed garden and would like some suggestions as to a few plants. I donÂt have a ton of room so I need some really stereotypical Asian plants so when people walk into the back yard it screams out the theme. WhatÂs are the best stereotypical plants that must be used?

Comments (17)

• mariava7
    18 years ago

Bamboo

• beggingpardon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

heh yes that is a good one =) any others?

• Anakaleki
    18 years ago

Lotus, if you don't have room for a pond, you can grow them in a large plastic bucket and then place it in an Oriental pot.

Pittosporum is often used in Japanese gardens

Chinese fan palm?

Redbud trees bloom before they leaf out in the spring which kinda makes them look like cherry blossoms

Maybe some ferns?

• daai_tou_laam
    18 years ago

In combination with the bamboo, you might try things like Camellias.

You might also try Osmanthus fragrans (often called sweet olive tree) and Podocarpus macrophylla (locally called Buddhist pine) and Bauhinia purpurea (though the bauhinia does have a habit of freely reseeding itself. Though I love the flowers in bloom all over now).

If you want to go for water features, there are lotus and lilies and the carp/goldfish.

• mariava7
    18 years ago

Reserve a spot for a Bonsai. Dwarf Mondo grass as accent or ground cover in between rocks will be good too.

• chaman
    18 years ago

Jasmines, Plumerias and Olianders.

• ankraras
    18 years ago

Azadiachta, Alpina, Basil, Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime, Tumeric, Zingiber, Guava and Annona.

• nomadic
    17 years ago

Japanese maple (Acer palmatum)

• tuanh
    17 years ago

varies of bananas, dawrf bananas. philodenron,caladium,arium, and canas.

• mariava7
    17 years ago

Orchids

• User
    17 years ago

Just a few suggestions for a typical (subtropical) Asian garden:

Japanese Black Pine (or other variety)
    Cycas revoluta
    Ginkoo biloba
    Fatsia japonica
    Camelia japonica
    Acuba japonica
    Pomergranate (Chinese apple)
    Sweet Olive (Osmanthus fragrans)
    Potted citrus (kumquats do great in containers)
    Tree Peony
    Musa basjoo (cold hardy Japanese fiber banana)
    Chinese banana (Musella lasiocarpa, cold hardy to 10 F.)
    Bamboo (put runners in containers unless you want a grove!)
    Podocarpus
    Pittosporum

• ntt_hou
    17 years ago

If you have time, come to Houston and pick up a Kumquat plant from an Asian supermarket or Nursery during the Chinese New Year.

Other ones:
    Flowering Plum or a peach tree,
    Quince,
    any type of bonsai (they're actually outdoor plants and you can place them on a table or a rock),
    Weeping Willow,
    Bougainvilleas,
    Azaleas,
    Angel Wing Begonias,
    Mickey Mouse plant (Ochna thomasiana),

Btw, all of the above are almost native to our SE Texas climate. They all do well with little protection needed in the winter.

Since you're not too far from Houston, I mean well when I invite you to visit Houston. If you do, come to JRN Nursery in NW of Houston. It's located on Breen Rd near SH 249 and Antoine. You can go online and find the address. The owner carries a large variety of exotic plants that do well in SE Texas.

• yama
    17 years ago

Hi All
    about 60 % of plants sold at nusries are came from asia.mainly from Japan and china.

How about Japanease wisteria alba "Texas pride" Monrovia nusery sell it.Hehehe.
    Even plant tag don't say koreana chinensis, or japonica, many plants are came from China and Japan.
    By the way Musa busjoo (japanese cold hardy banana)is native of china, banana came from China along with Buddhism. Banana is not native plant of Japan.
    yama

• Gardener972
    17 years ago

There is a fantastic Japanese garden at the Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens. What's your e-mail and I'll send you pictures.

• alba-mickey
    15 years ago

How about to plant a Michelia Alba tree (Pat Lang)? It is a very fragent flower tree.

• danial1
    15 years ago

Sanseviera trifasciata (Mother's in Law Tongue)
    Sanseviera Hahni
    Raphis humilis
    Heliconias
    Ficus nitida;

And for hard landscape

River washed pebbles and rocks about about 50-70mm in diameter would be fine

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape, architecture and natures

• peacedog
    14 years ago

Some of my favorites. Mostly Japanese, some Chinese.

Higan Weeping Cherry
    Flowering Quince
    Azaleas
    Camelias
    Japanese flowering plum/apricot
    japanese maples
    Tree Peony
    Black or tiger bamboo
    Golden goddess bamboo
    Hayachi Persimmon