Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Osmanthus yunnanensis

Posted by nomadic z8 OR (My Page) on
Sat, May 13, 06 at 4:25

Hi.
I got this plant from the Portland Classical Chinese Garden. Would like to hear about personal experiences, info on cultivation, hardiness, pests, fragrance, etc.
Thanks.
J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Osmanthus yunnanensis

• Posted by ntt_hou 8b/9a/NWHouston (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 15, 06 at 0:25

Osmanthus is grown as evergreen in Texas. It is a large bush and its flowers are very fragrant, resemble of the Jasmine flowers. Another common name is Sweet Olives.

I've inhereted 2 from my mom. They remind her of the tea she had in Vietnam. Vietnamese is hoa moc. The tea is called Tra Hoa Moc. Nowadays, it's much easier to get Osmanthus Oolong Tea or just the dried flowers online. Although, resembling the Jasmine, this tea has a distinguish fragrant of its own. If you like Jasmine tea, you should try Osmanthus Oolong tea. If Oolong is too strong for you, you may buy just the dry flowers and mix it with your favorite green tea.

Mine are both in a large pot. They actually should be on the ground. I don't do much to it except water it. It flowers during March and April.

At where I work, it is planted in a long row. This row of Sweet Olives goes from shade to partly shade to full sun. They all do just as well.

I don't know how cold it gets where you're at. If your plant is still small, maybe you should keep it in a pot and bring it in during the winter. Since it's a bush, you can keep it trimmed so it'll stay in the pot.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmanthus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here