Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holy Basil

Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 1:45

Hello,

I bought some Holy Basil the other day thinking it was regular Thai Basil. It did look slightly different, but I didn't think about it at the time.

The nursery tag says it's ornamental only, but when I did a search online I found where it said it can be medicinal and is a favorite to eat in Thailand. After this search I'm so totally confused I don't know whether to eat this stuff, or get rid of it.

Can anyone give me information about Holy Basil? There used to be an Asian woman who worked at the nursery, but I haven't seen her lately and don't know if she still works there.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me about the Holy Basil. The tag doesn't have a botanical name for it. Just says, "Holy Basil."

Vivian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holy Basil

Ocimum tenuiflorum is the botanical name of Holy basil.
It is close to GOD in Hindu Culture and holds high religious significance.
One leaf a day will eradicate lot of ailments.
Hindus pray to the plant on everyday basis.
This must have come to you for a reason.....
Keep it...for good luck and wellbeing.
Am not even sure why they wrote ornamental only.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocimum_tenuiflorum

Above is the link to its complete details.
As any other Basil ....it is not perinnial.
But the seeds which fall off it starts a new plant.....

Keep it..

o

• Posted by noss Zone 9a Lafayette, L (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 16:37

Hello Sharmigarden,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

I did read that this basil is revered in India and other countries, as well.

Thanks, also, for the link.

You may be right, that I brought this plant home for a reason and I definitely am keeping it for my wellbeing. The leaves have an interesting flavor to them and the scent of the leaves is pleasant. The taste is good, as well.

Would the plant be perennial if it's not frozen, or is it just a straight annual? If the plant blooms, does it ruin it for eating the leaves? I guess I need to read everything in the link you sent. :)

Thanks again,

Vivian

o

Hello Vivian,
It is a tropical plant...
It will do well for a long time( for years) in a nice sunny spot..maybe a window during below 50F days...
The flowering produces tiny black seeds...which on sowing produce more plants in 80F+ temps.
you need to remove the flowers....if you do not want a dry looking edge...

Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here