Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to dry bitter gourd seeds?

Posted by orchid24 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 16:28

I have ripe bitter gourd seeds (from store bought vegge). Can I sow them directly in the soil or do I need to dry them & sow. Please suggest me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to dry bitter gourd seeds?

If you're talking about momordica charantia, or bitter melon, then normal practice is to let the seeds dry in the red aril before sowing. However, I've only ever seen people save the seeds of a ripe fruit for next year's planting, so I suppose it's possible (but unlikely) that the immature seeds will sprout.

A store bought fruit will ripen at room temperature, especially if you place it in a bag with ethylene producing bananas or apples.

o

Thanks. Yeah it's bitter melon. I have 6 seeds.
Planted 2.
Drying 2. (at first worried about their viability)
Missing 2 that I put in a wet towel.
Have to see which one will work.

o

Yes, I would dry them first. Bitter Melon is a hot weather plant. My experience is that if just put them in a tray of potting soil about one inch deep and keep them watered, when it gets warm enough for them they will come up, that is if the seed are viable.
Then I transplant to one gallon pots of the same potting soil and let them grow until they are about one foot tall. Then I plant them in the garden and provide something for them to climb on. You may have to help them get started climbing up the trellis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here