Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Day lily buds

Posted by l_james mo5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 1:12

I grow the day lily "Citron", Its suppose to be an edible one from China. They're OK but can you pickle them or use them in a stir fry or do you just eat them raw?
I also grow another type of day lily called "Buttered Popcorn". It has a much larger bud than the "Citron". It taste about the same. Are these edible too?
Does anybody like the day lily buds and eat them regularly or eat them when in season?
Any information would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Day lily buds

I know that daylillies are an ingredient in hot and sour soup. They're called "golden needles"...

From Wikipedia:

The flowers of some species are edible and are used in Chinese cuisine. They are sold (fresh or dried) in Asian markets as gum jum or golden needles (金针 in Chinese; pinyin: jīnzhēn) or yellow flower vegetables (黃花菜 in Chinese; pinyin: hunghuāci). They are used in hot and sour soup, daylily soup (金針花湯), Buddha's delight, and moo shu pork. The young green leaves and the tubers of some (but not all[citation needed]) species are also edible. The plant has also been used for medicinal purposes. Care must be used as some species of lilies can be toxic.

Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Daylily @ Wikipedia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here