Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thenovice

Please help

thenovice
16 years ago

While in Japan last week, my father in law was explaining what he had in his garden.

I am very interested in finding "maki" here in the United States, but I do not know what the english word for maki is.

Please help!

Comments (11)

• thenovice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I was able to locate the tree myself but I thought I would share with this forum in case anyone else would like to know!

Maki - (Also inu-maki, kusa-maki, rakan-maki)
    Yew Podocarpus, Longleaf Podocarpus Podocarpus macrophyllus deep mountains

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

Can you describe "Maki" too? Maki in Japanese can just mean "planting" so could be used on a lot of different plants.

• thenovice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maki - The Japanese Yew tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Maki or Yew

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

Do you think you'll grow Maki? My ex Japanese in laws were very proud of their front garden. Not a lot of room, but they really enjoyed every moment of it.

• thenovice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Absolutely, I am really into Japanese trees, shrubs, etc., so yes I am going to grow Maki.

My Japanese in-laws have a beautiful garden around their home which is where I first saw "maki".

I want to do Japanese maples in my yard as well, but I have read that they are difficult to take care of. Is this true?

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

I haven't tried Japanese maples yet but I absolutely love them. A friend once had a lovely Japanese maple. I'm a little far north for the ones I've admired most. I think I'll wait a couple of years before I tackle the area I'd like to grow Japanese maples in, but I've always admired this website. I don't know if they're any good, but they seem to have a good variety and description. It's in my favorites I like to look and drool. http://www.japanesemaples.com/

• thenovice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah I am wondering if I can go ahead and start planting some maples since fall is pretty much here. I mean I have already started over-seeding my lawn so why not?

I do have one concern though and that is will the frost in Georgia not kill the young trees? Do I need to cover them? What steps should I take to protect them over winter?

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

Hi Thenovice,
    I actually decided to risk it, and planted a Tamukeyama maple from this nursery http://wildwoodmaples.com/dissectum.html They had great customer service, and shipped a healthy plant. I'm babying it, and hope it will survive. I'm right at the edge of zone 5, so I picked a protected spot at the edge of one of my shade gardens (gets good light). I'm hopeful.

• thenovice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the link to the nursery, I am going to order several come early March next year, I dont want to risk killing them with frost unless you think it would be wise to go ahead and plant. I guess this is really a question for the nursery...?

• thenovice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like they will not make deliveries to Georgia, you must be in the northern part of the country?

• lisa_neenah
    16 years ago

Hi thenovice, yes I live in central wisconsin. Can't ship, yikes, what about this nursery: http://japanesemaples.com/ Not quite as far as the one I used in CA. They all look like they're good to zone 8, so they may be able to help you. My little maple seems well established, I'm hopeful it'll make it thru the winter. Best of luck.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner