Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tina_123_gw

nyctanthes arbor-tristis night jasmine

tina_123
16 years ago

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum. I want to grow this plant , one of my favourites from India. Please let me know if you can spare some seeds. I know the plants are grown in the warmer states. I live in CT, USA. I am attaching a picture for the same. Thanks.

http://www.rareflora.com/nycanthes.html

Comments (37)

• aaaaaaaa
    16 years ago

Hi Tina,
    You may see that I have posted couple of posting regarding this plant. I am also interested in growing this plant. If you have luck in finding seeds let me know. Meanwhile, if I find it, will let you know.
    thanks
    aaaaaaaa

• tina_123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found that allseasonseeds carry the seeds and they have no minimumpurchase now. They take payment with paypal. So, I have mailed them and asked details as to how many seeds per pack,germination efficiency, how long it will take to deliver etc. If they get back to me, I plan to buy from them.

• aaaaaaaa
    16 years ago

Hi,
    allseasonsseeds is the worst place to order seeds!. I placed the order for same seeds and did not receive them event after 8 weeks. When checked with Mr.Gil--he said that some times it takes time and he would send me a free pack of seeds of his choice along with my orignal order. I did not see any seeds for about another two weeks. There was several correspondance with this Mr Gill and I realized that I am wasting time. That's when I cancelled my order--no use getting seeds in fall--right? I even doubt if his site is genuine. I am not discouraging you but a word or caution.
    aaaaaaaa

• tina_123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for telling me this. I was worried about this same thing especially because I know that the tree will start flowering in India only from September. I guess I have to wait till my trip to India. I have seen small plants being sold but not seeds though. Lets keep each other informed. Thanks again.

Tina

• aaaaaaaa
    16 years ago

Hi,
    Did you call them up and place order or just walkin for the plant?
    Thanks

• tina_123
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I called them up to place the order. They will start up a plant and it will be ready in about 2-3 months time.

Tina

• swagh
    16 years ago

Hi,

I tried growing from seeds which I got from India. My sister has a big tree. Did not work. I have a plant which bloomed beautiful last year...but sadly had fungus. It is doing ok now, but has NOT bloomed since. I ordered another plant this week. If anybody else has experience taking care of this plant please post....
    Thanks, Swati

• anu.r
    16 years ago

Hi Swati,

May I ask where you ordered the Nyctanthes arbor-tristis from please? I am looking for a local source in N. California if possible. I found a source online, but its not only v expensive for 1 plant it works out to be almost $50 incl shipping, but they do not guarantee anything..
    Thanks in advance!

Anu.R

• aaaaaa_gardner
    15 years ago

Hi Tina,
    I am sending you an email.
    Thanks
    aaaaaa

• nirmala-trees
    14 years ago

I have been looking for a nursery that sells Nyctanthes arbor-tristis or Parijat tree in California. I had brought back some seeds of the Parijat tree from India but have not had luck germinating them. Does anyone know how to germinate them or know of an outlet to purchase the plants?
    I will be grateful for your tips and suggestions. Thanks Nirmala

• nuttavan
    14 years ago

I live in Northern California.

I have been trying to get/grow this plant for the past two plus years. The mail order places I looked at in Florida seemed too expensive to buy a pig in a poke, and also talking to them didn't inspire much confidence.

The seeds I bought from India after much searching failed to germinate. Out of two dozen or so I planted not even one germinated.

This is a plant of my childhood memories. I am determined to grow this plant and live to see at least a dozen flowers. Failure is not an option!

Hope springs eternal.

There is some good news recently. I got a bunch of seeds by mail order. Of the half dozen or so I planted in small containers, four have germinated and grown to saplings of about couple of inches tall. This is the most progress I have made obviously, and it looks somewhat hopeful -- touch wood. Oh! I can't wait to touch the wood of the rough bark of my own pavazhamalli tree!

This project is about 3 weeks old and every day first thing in the morning I can't wait to check on them.

I would be happy to share my experience, pointers, and more with fellow Californians (Anu R, Nirmala?) Let me know how I can get in touch with you.

• kutush17_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

i want to know when to plant this tree. its my most favorite flower.

• ranjani281_gmail_com
    12 years ago

HI Nuttavan,
    I really admire your inspiration and determination to grow Parijata. I felt very happy reading your post. You love your plants so dearly. Are they grown to big shrubs and flowering now? I have planted 3 saplings about 15 days back in big pots and really hoping to see Parijata flowers one day! when will that day come? what care should I give them? Any spl fertilizer? Your tips are greatly appreciated

• Nycanthus
    12 years ago

I have a medium sized plant that took 5 years to grow to this height. I bought it from Logees. It blooms right about this time and it is one of my favorite as well. I get around 200-300 flowers every season. It is now 7 ft tall, i live in the Phoenix area where it is hot in summer and cold in winter (it did freeze back one winter but came back in spring).

• ju1234
    11 years ago

"Night Blooming Jasmine" that is what i thought you guys were talking about, but when i looked it up these two are different plants. Cestrum Nocturnum is Night blooming jasmine and I guess you guys are talking about night "flowering" jasmine, never seen one so i really don't know how it is different. I have "night blooming jasmine" which is great. Gets millions of small needle like flowers, not much to look at but great fragrance only at night. It does grow to 10 feet or more high outdoors in hot weather areas. Are Nycanthes flowers similar and have similar fragrance?

• archoo16
    11 years ago

I know this page is a little old, but I wanted to know how did it go? how are your parijatham doing?

Nuttavan, what do you think is the difference between the seeds from India and seeds bought here?

• sharmigarden
    11 years ago

I tried the seeds bought from top tropical.....
    nothing....
    finally i ordered a plant as i was desperate for the plant of my childhood memories...
    will update soon...

• sharmigarden
    11 years ago

My plant did not survive the travel from Florida.
    Am not ready to give up yet....
    A new batch of seeds are on the way!!!!
    Will keep posting!

• anu.r
    11 years ago

WOW! I never realized there were so many of us determined folks trying to find this absolutely fantastic plant!

I guess we each have our childhood memories as the root cause for this hunt:-)

I am very hopeful that one of you will point me to a source where I can find it, and buy it:-)
    If anyone has these pods or seeds -can you share? or sell it?

• sharmigarden
    11 years ago

I have tried total of six seeds witout luck.
    But, a friend has donated 10 seeds from her big batch of seeds.
    We are trying to get as many so, we can pass them around once successful.
    Ok, as I was researching about this seeds,I found a comment on these seeds on Daves ---garden.
    This person has basically tried as hard at home.
    unfortunately, am not able to get the URL attached for safety reason.but, you can try this online and you will see the comments.
    Also on ebay you get a batch of 50 seeds for 4 dollars!!
    now we can liberally try this plant out.
    starting new ones today!!!
    Wish me luck!!

• randerso
    11 years ago

From my experience so far, this is not the easiest plant to grow from seed. Either that, or the seeds I got sucked:) I was able to get one(1) lonely seed to germinate and it germinated in the wierdest way.It looked like 2 leaves directly on the ground for many weeks and then finally it sent a stem up.

Well, now I am attempting to germinate a large number of seeds. If I don't get many plants I will have to try to vegetatively propagate from the one I have growing once it gets larger.

I hope to grow enough to sell for charity in the spring but I am not sure at this rate.

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Hi,

I know this thread is old, but for those of you who still want to grow this plant from seed, there is a thread on the now blocked D***'s Garden :)

Just Google Nyctanthes arbor-tristis you can find it.

From what I understood, the best way is filing/ paper towel / zip lock method. (If you've grown Morning Glories, you know what I mean)
    i.e. File the seeds.
    Put in moist paper towel.
    Put in ziplock.

Germination level 6:10.
    Germination time approx. 10 days.

Needs warm temp 70ð F (21ðC)

• sharmigarden
    10 years ago

Finally ...... Got my first flower!!!!

• prabharaj108
    8 years ago

Hi:

I have some Parijat seeds that I just got from India. I am in N.California. If interested I can spare some of these seeds if you want to pay for the shipping.

R.P.

• swatikanaglekar
    8 years ago

I want some seeds if you still have them

• ezhilmalini
    8 years ago

Can I get some seeds if you have

• catchammar
    8 years ago

I wanted to know if there are nurseries in N Calif where we can get this plant.

• PRO
    Vedic Gardens & Nursery, LLC
    7 years ago

vedicgardens.com in NC have this plant. We have hundreds of other Indian plants. Within 40 days we will be biggest online plant store for everything Indian. Please call me ( Anil Gandhi) at 919 -612-7100 for additional information.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    4 years ago

Hello! Idk if anyone will see this but ... I just wanted to make sure, when people say wait until it is 70 degrees to try to start seed, you mean during the day only, right?

A kind member sent me some seeds and I am really hoping to do my best for them. I don't have a heat mat though, so they'll cool down at night.

• ruangrong khongpluem
    3 years ago

I saw it sale at etsy and ebay.

• Sandeep Dilwali
    3 years ago

I just moved to Northen California and want to grow this plant. I have so many good memories for thsi plant and beautiful flower. Any Idea from where i can get the plant? Any suggestion where to get teh seeds and how to start thsi plant from seeds. Thanks for any info to help me to grow thsi plant in Fremont California.

3 years ago

hello,

TopTropicals used to sell the seed but it looks like they are out right now. There is a link to request to be notified when they get more though.

Also, there is a nonprofit in northern Cal which sells SE Asian vegetable plants for charity, and the people who run it might know where you could get some. Here is a way to get on the email list for the veggie sales: "If you would like to get added to the email list for these announcements you can go to http://eepurl.com/b7X68H"

I don't know if their sales are all over for the year - if not they are probably quite busy and it might take a while to get an answer. I live too far away to have ever gone to the sales. They are probably on FB too.

I think there's a good chance you should be able to wind up with seeds or a cutting. I would post in the Fragrant Plants forum, the California Gardening forum, and the Growing from Seed forum too, why not?

Let us know how it goes!

• Archana Vasudevan
    3 years ago

I have had 100% results with germinating seeds from India with taking the seeds out of seed pod, wrapping in moist paper towel and leaving inside a ziploc over my fridge. Even 5 yr old seeds germinated but the rate went down the older they got.

• rvash12
    2 years ago

Hello, I live in fremont california. I bought a plant from etsy in October 2019. It survived till March and then died. Any success stories in bay area? What should I do, I really want this plant.

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

hi, rvash12:

you know, since you are in the Bay Area, you may be able to find a plant that is grown nearby, and will maybe be hardier. There are a couple people who do charity Southeast Asian-favorite plant sales in the Palo Alto area. They seem to specialize in veggies, but sometimes also have flowers. I know that is a car trip from Fremont, but it might be fun.

Meanwhile, if you do try the seed route, here is a post I put up a while back, explaining how I got my seed to grow.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5743033/parijat-nyctanthes-arbor-tristis-seeds-pix

The plant is still alive, but I don't have a good spot to plant it yet, so it is in a pot and it is quite small. It hasn't flowered yet. (I think I will try to grow more seeds and squeeze them in the ground somewhere. I don't see why that shouldn't work.)

I will go hunt up the name of that group. Try desiplants dot org. If that doesn't work, let me know, I have an email too. They do a list that they send out before sales. (Btw I don't know that the website is updated. I think the email list they send out is more current.)

• PRO
    Vedic Gardens & Nursery, LLC
    2 years ago

Folks, I own Vedic Gardens, a Desi Garden business selling huge collection of South-Asian Plants in NC for past 20 years or so. Coral Jasmine, aka Parijata, Parijatham and few other names are of a plant called Nyctanthes arbor-tristis as we all know! We sell several plants every year to our customers all over USA wherever permitted by USDA regulations. This plant is one of the most difficult plant to grow whether to grow indoors in container or outdoors in grounds. It needs very special care.

Remember 3 things when tending to Parijat plant during colder season.

# 1 High heat! please try to keep temperatures around the plant to over 40 Degrees F.

# 2 High Humidity ( In air only!! Do not go crazy on over watering the soil! It won't help)

# 3 High Light! Due to fewer hours of sunlight in winter season, compensate light requirements by adding extra light source.

Growing Parijat from seeds has been a big challenge for us as any seeds over 30 days old are not viable, and we cannot tell by the looks of the seeds if it is viable or not. Buying seeds online is easy, but trusting the source to sell fresh seeds is very difficult. We have to take a chance.

When ordering any plants or seeds from other countries and other US states, please respect USDA regulations as alien plants or seeds can sometimes cause irreversible damage to many plants in the area! Good luck and Happy gardening.

Anil Gandhi at vedicgardens.com