Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with ginseng ficus trimming

Posted by vr46 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 21:10

I have this trimming from a ginseng ficus from last year I put in a small plastic pot that has grown quite a lot over the summer. It has doubled in size and increased the number of leaves so I repotted it to a larger 4''(diameter) pot.

My problem is there are roots growing between the base of the stem and where there the leaves start to grow an inch up from the base. The roots are thick and white (to begin with), some of them have reached the soil level with the base. Some of them have turned darker in color, some now ones are still a bit white, they seem to just be growing and reaching out. I don't know if I should trim them, point them to the soil or just leave them.

I've included a pic, i don't know how to add more so i put in the one the shows the root growth best.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with ginseng ficus trimming

• Posted by vr46 none (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 21:25

Here is another pic. The red line indicates it's height before summer and shows subsequent growth in the past two months.

o

Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 1:18

Here is another pic. The red line indicates it's height before summer and shows subsequent growth in the past two months.

o

Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 21:32

Anyone? The thing just grew a few more leaves and about an extra inch and a half since my last post. It's starting to lean, I just repotted this but at what point do I change up to a bigger pot?

o

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 12:08

You can train it to be a bonsai tree. Those aerial roots will eventually become a trunk like structure when they reach the ground and get more nutrients and will be unrecognizable from the main trunk. Or just remove them if that's not what you're after.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here