Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hema_gw

Neem, Moringa and curry leaf plant

hema
17 years ago

Hi, I am new here and I had a couple of questions about my plants. Since it gets very cold here, I have planted all these plants in a container. they seem to be growing well except curry leaf which is at a slow pace. I was wondering how much and what kind fertilizer to be used on them, and the amount of water.

Also my moringa leaves turn yellow and shed often and on. But ofcourse there is an abundance of green ones being born. Is that normal?

How long is it before I can see them bloom? Thanks for all your help.

Comments (40)

• mangotogo
    17 years ago

Hi Hema,
    I planted 2 neem trees on my property in North Queensland,dry tropics of Australia. Big mistake!They grow enormous just in 4 years and were flowering and fruiting by then. Self seeding everywhere. Each cost $6.00 to buy and $600 to remove. And they are still resprouting and I keep pulling small seedlings out all the time. They are supposed to have insecticidal properties but i could see all sorts of ants and caterpillars nesting in them.
    Curry leaf is less of problem and should be ok as a potted specimen. Moringa I don't have any experience with but seems to grow as well here and in Bangkok. Pretty bad smell when fruits are rotting on the ground.
    It's always a different story when dealing with the tropical regions....In Bangkok, I just stick something in the ground and it sprouts! As far as fertiliser: in Australia I use somethng called Dynamic lifter( based on chicken manure) In Bangkok I am limited to chemical granules, and foliage spray solutions.

Happy gardening,
    Mike

• hema
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks a lot Mike. your information was very useful. thanks again

• thishya
    17 years ago

Hema...Feed the plants according to the rate of growth.Lots of light needs plenty water.If you fertilise neem the branches break easily so ..just add the naturally sterilised soil when ever you need to..Curry leaf..needs to be on dry side.feed in spring once a year.Moringa.?.What variety?.

• john_in_thailand
    17 years ago

Hi Mike,
    did you ever find a list of good nurseries in Thailand or can you recommend any?
    I only know the one in Ekamai nr soi 6.
    cheers,
    john

• michelle_4466
    17 years ago

Hi Hema,
    I tried Moringa from seeds.They sprouted without any problems and shot up fast.But in the winter, I had to bring them indoors.They kept dropping leaves and looked sickly.They need PLENTY of sunlight,warmth and remain dry.Water only when the soil is very dry-- about once a week.
    michelle

• kquat
    17 years ago

I have lots of curry leaf plants here, in Texas. They grow like wild every where. I spray citrus with Neem. Well, I don't know anything about Moringa. Please tell me something about it. what is it for? Thanks! K.

• jaigee
    17 years ago

I have tried forever to grow curry leaf tree from seed but in vain. My mother, for the second time, got a bunch of seeds that fell from the curry "forest" growing in her backyard back in India. What steps do I need to take to have them sprout in a container. Is this a good time to sow them or do I wait till spring? If I dont sow them now, will they keep till the warm months come?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

• Gardener972
    17 years ago

If that curry leaf tree doesn't grow for you, there's usually several plants at the Indian grocery stores for sale.

• chaman
    17 years ago

Moringa{{gwi:382223}}

Iwould like to share the picture of Moringa I have grown.

• new_grdnr
    17 years ago

wow Chaman, your muringa picture looks yummy. I am a newbie from CA, planted few muringa seeds and one germinated just yesterday. I love the curry made with flowers & leaves of muringa. planning to try more seeds. Would like to know how fast they grow and how long before they bloom?

• chaman
    16 years ago

Moringa takes about three years for flowering and fruits.It grows rpidly. It will attain the height of about 15 feet in the same time period.

• ionads
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Can anyone spare me at least 2-3 curry plant seeds I have been trying to find them everywhere, with no luck. I am living in France now where the summers are really hot, so I thought it might grow well here.

Many thanks,
    Iona

• audreyca
    16 years ago

I often cut off the fruit so I never knew there were seeds inside. I would see if I have any fruit left and would let you know if I have any seed to send to you.

• sag_ar
    16 years ago

Can some one share a seed of moringa nad curry leaf to me ...

I have a 3 diffrent verity of curry leave plant and next posting will be how to care for it
    e-mail me parvatsagar@yahoo.com

i will send u a full line of how to care guide in mail
    thanks
    Appriciated
    your help

by the way i have a curry leave but no froute ...that is the one i am looking for who get the seed ...mine grow from roots not from seeds

also i have mango trees and orenges also
    this summer in 2007 i have grow a 2 sucessfully avacado plants
    let see how it go in over winter and give feed back
    also i got root of banana tree ther are 2 ft talll i just got 1 plant in 3 month ago it become a 2 nad 3rd small start comung out ..so i will keep in eye also

if any one need tulsi seed let me know i will provide just e-mail yr adress and we will discuss

sagar

• shwetagarg
    16 years ago

Hey is there any suggestion to grow them in seattle where it rains endlessly.
    i really want to grow curry leaves in container. plz tell me how shud i start.

thanks

• cacye
    15 years ago

Curry died after a few months here in Denver. I grew it inside; not sure what I did wrong. I had it in an east window and watered it once a week. It was only about 5 cm tall when I got it. Do they need misting? Didn't seem like it. I have used neem for bugs; it is variably useful. I do recommend it for side effects from chlamydia; it also does well on sore throats(Pseudomonas possible cause). It is good for yeast infections; use it for the ones that are resistant to monostat.

• eugen
    15 years ago

Dear friends an friends of Moringa, I have 2 questions:
    1. Could moringa grow under dessert conditions ?
    2. What quantity of freshwater needs a mature moringa tree daily during the vegetation season and during the inactivity season under dessert conditions ?
    Thanks !

• gardeni
    15 years ago

Eugen

Check out the websites such as:

www.moringafarms.com. They may know whether it will grow in desert conditions. It seems like they will since they seem to be able to tolerate drought conditions.

I just bought some seeds from them. I am hoping that they will grow.

• vidnand
    15 years ago

Hi Sagar,
    I am looking for curry plants and tulsi seeds. Pls. lemme know if you can share with me.

Thanks.

• sunb
    14 years ago

Please send me some Curry leaf plant seeds...neem seeds..Gooseberry seeds...moringa (drum stick) seeds..
    thanks
    Sun
    seemesus@gmail.com

• anithasudher
    13 years ago

Hi,

I am from the San Jose, California area. I have some Moringa seedlings. Is anyone interested in them?

• rodneys
    12 years ago

anithasudher, I am interested in a moringa olifiera seedling or two. I live in SoCal

publiuszero79@gmail.com

• seedssun
    12 years ago

Many moriga seeds availble.
    pls reply with seeds you got to exchange
    myids10@gmail.com

• vidnand
    12 years ago

Hi AnithaSudher,
    I would like have one seedling if you still have them. I also live in San jose (near Dilworth elementary). Pls. let me know.

Thanks,

Vidyaa

• bhuvana
    12 years ago

hi,
    I would like to have a seedling if u still have them.I live in WA state

• Lmendezrom
    11 years ago

Have a Neem tree leaves pare turning yellow can anyone tell me why?

• shaanp
    10 years ago

If you live in Southern California, interested in curry leaf plants, email me.
    johnpetersusa@yahoo.com

This post was edited by shaanp on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 0:38

• nature_freak
    10 years ago

Moringa oleifera, Neem and Curry leaf plants. Neem will take max zone 10, in zone 9 the leaves become yellow in cold but once they are established they will withstand cold. Curry leaf in zone 9 does cause trouble and remains a bush or mini tree. Moringa will go from zone 8 to 11 easy, once established will withstand draught conditions. All three from South Asia enjoy tropical plus arid conditions but not much below -2c. In temperate Himalayan region they are not seen much. Established, winter dormancy, yes.

• nctropics
    10 years ago

I have also grown Moringa Oleifera from seed. I have noticed similar yellowing of leaves but new growth looks fine. It started happening since I moved it indoors due to cold temps outside. So I guess it's due to light issues. I have now moved it into my garage with my other tropicals that seem to be doing good so far under grow lights.

• nctropics
    10 years ago

Here is another photo showing some yellow leaves. This occurred before relocating it under grow lights. Otherwise the plant looks healthy. I had purchased the seed on eBay from some one in TX.

This post was edited by NCTropics on Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 7:54

• rjogden
    9 years ago

I started some curry leaf seeds in small seed-starting containers last year. I lost several to drying out when I was out of town for a while, but they seem to be incredibly tolerant of dry soil - the little pots would often go completely dry between waterings. We get some freezing weather here in winter, so I brought them inside several times. The largest, in a 2-gallon nursery pot, is about 18" tall now and has just produced and ripened a few fruit. The rest are now in 1-gallon containers and are only about half as big. Now that they are accustomed to their pots they tolerate both dry spells and weeks of near-daily torrential rain. They seemed to give a little spurt of growth when I added some balanced fertilizer with micro-nutrients, but they tolerate a lot of neglect.

My wife thinks the leaves smell terrible and won't allow them in our food. Oh well...

• Lak
    9 years ago

Hello,

I'm looking for a curry plant or Murraya koenigii (in plant or seedling form), where can I pick one, in Bellingham, WA, or Vancouver, BC (Canada)? Or would love if any kind soul could donate me a couple of seeds, would love to have fresh leaves for cooking for a change, instead of dried leaves.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Logee's nursery has seedlings, as does Bhatia Nursery. Bhatia has 3 different kinds.

Bhatia Nursery Curry Leaf plant

Logee's curry leaf plant

I have not purchased plants from Bhatia but know of others who have. I did purchase a couple of plants from Logee, but lost them in a move after just a few weeks.

This year I am getting seed from an acquaintance in Hawaii - but the seeds are quite fragile and tender. Also, I have never tried to start curry leaf from seed. So I'm not sure whether or not I'll actually get any seedlings this year.

If nothing comes up for me, I'll probably break down and buy some plants - but they are quite expensive once you take shipping and handling into account, so I'm hoping that I'll get a good result from the seeds.

And before anyone asks - no, my acquaintance does not have any extra seeds this year. Maybe next year though. I'll keep in touch and post about this time next year if there are seeds to be had. Or at least I'll TRY, LOL!

• shaanp
    9 years ago

If you live in Southern California, interested in Curry leaf Plants,
    Email me at johnpetersusa@yahoo.com

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Hey, another source for the plants, in NJ:

Curry Leaf Plant from Seeds of India

• git66
    8 years ago

Neem tree leaves turning yellow: has good light, plenty of water...????

• rjogden
    8 years ago

Too much water can cause yellowing - the species likes good drainage, and the soil pretty dry between waterings. This species will tolerate going completely dry, but not wet feet.

The plant can tolerate complete defoliation, and may even lose it's leaves naturally as part of an annual cycle. Certainly the time of bloom seems to be dictated by daylength, and that may also cause leaf senescence. Most if not all tropical plants do lose their leaves, even those considered "evergreen" (which just seems to mean the new leaves appear before the old ones drop).

• git66
    8 years ago

Thanks. The tree gets water daily. will try to cut supply some. Has never lost its leaves!

• Pyewacket
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Curry leaf plant is also a heavy user of iron. If the yellowing results in pronounced veining, it could be either an iron or magnesium deficiency; iron chelate for the one, epsom salts for the other.

Also look to soil pH and fertilizer. I have been unsuccesful locating information about optimal pH, but in practice and by observation, it does poorly when pH is high.

A palm/cycad fertilizer was recommended by my seed source: others have recommended a citrus fertilizer. I had been using Foliage Pro (commonly used for containet citrus) as a foliar feed but can't really evaluate its performance as the majority of my seedlings were suffering through a disastrous experiment with gritty mix which pretty much obscured everything else.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz