Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellyni_gw

Suggestions for planting and creating an Asian theme in shade.

ellyni
15 years ago

I just moved in about a year ago and i'm trying to get my yard in order. I have a very shaded part of my yard that is in desperate need of some help. Two large bare spots occupy much of the area. (I presume something used to be there and was removed and because of the shade, nothing is willing to grow there voluntarily. lol)

I'm in love with the various Asian styles and my home decor reflects that. I'm looking to take it outside and need some suggestions. I love the idea of a 'potted pond' surrounded by cherry blossoms and other delicate flowers and a mossy like ground cover and other bushes. Since I know nothing about the different types of plants that are available to me that would do well in the midwest and in heavy shade, i'm hoping I can get a little guidance here.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a photo of the area. It's looking pretty bad! lol

Comments (2)

• sweetflag
    15 years ago

How about growing some bamboo? Make sure you contained them.(either with fiberglass bariers or grow them in a heavyduty plastic trash barrel and burry in the ground)

Bamboo can take the shade well.

• eibren
    14 years ago

Kerriya looks quite bamboo-like, but is not as invasive. It forms clumps which can spread, but not too bad in shade.