Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muckpuk

sacred lotus questions

muckpuk
16 years ago

I have recently moved to Phuket Thailand. Now we have a very big garden and I have some time to invest in it I'm starting to garden. Yes I'm a novice. We went to the local gardencentre and bought some plants of which one is a "sacred" (I believe) lotus. It is not doing so well I'm afraid. As my thai is still very minimal there is no local expert (they all have them abundant in the gardens and on driveways)I can ask my questions to.

Also the books I can get here are or about English country gardening!!!!! Or they are in Thai!

So I need your help.

The plant is in a very big ceramic pot (like all thai have) and standing at the moment under a ledge outside, where it gets some sun and some rain.The water is rather mucky, and the level drops quite quickly.Most of the leaves are turning brown at the edges and one lotus flower was covered in Aphids? (little green bugs) they also float on the surface of the water. One of the lotus flowers did not open itself but seemed to dry out and died. Two other flowers are now very slowly opening.

So here are my questions.

Does it need to stand in the full sun?

Does it need to stand in the full rain?

Do I top up the water level?

If yes, with what, rain or tapwater?

Can it stand strong wind?

Do I clean the water?

Do I get rid of the dead lotusbud and the rotting leaves?

If yes how exactly?

What can the cause be of the brown leaves? One of the above or can it all be a transport trauma and will the lotus recover out of its own?

What do I do about the little green bugs? Any ecofriendly ideas?

I like the position it now has , I would regret having to move it but I would regret it more if it dies on me.

Please send ideas/knowledge.

Muckpuck

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz