Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moringa seed - How to sprout

Posted by jas_il 5/IL (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 15:48

Hi all,

I have ordered some Moringa (drumstick) seeds. I would like any info about sprouting seeds. What method is best and do you soak seeds? I would like to hear your experiences.

Any feedback would be greatly aprreciated.
Thanks
Jasmine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moringa seed - How to sprout

Yes, you should soak the seeds for about a day, no matter what method you use. The easiest way to get the seeds to sprout is by using the baggie method. The baggie method is where you soak the seed in warm water for about a day and place the seed in a plastic ziploc bag and then put the seed in a dark warm place like a dresser drawer. The seed should start to sprout within a few days. Be careful when you take the sprouted seed out of the bag, because moringas are really fragile as seedlings. When I tried this method, my seed started to sprout in about 3 days! I took it out of the bag before anything actually grew out from the seed, just to be on the safe side, and planted it directly in a one gallon pot (moringas dont like being in small pots since they grow so fast). Another method you could use would be to soak the seed and directly plant it in the ground, but then you cant see the stages of the seed actually sprouting. The baggie method is more fun! :)

o

vegheadgirl,

Thanks a lot. I will try the method you mentioned and hope my seeds will sprout. Thanks for explaining everything in detail.

o

I usually soak in water for maximum of 24 hours and then into the soil they go. I've only had one seedling fail this way, possibly dug up by squirrels or maybe I tried starting it when it was too cold (Jan in FL). These things sprout and grow REALLY quickly if it is hot enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here