Return to the Asian Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nycthanthes seed

Posted by bcuerva (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 21:27

My Nyctanthes Arbor Tristis (Parijat, Indian Jasmine) plant is thriving and it has reached about 3.5 ft high. (its been tough for some reason it didn't grow for a while but its doing great now) I noticed a green seed on the tip of one of the branches last week and I'm so excited but I don't know what to do with it :P Do I wait for it to fall off? Do I pluck it off and dry it? I got about 6-8 flowers from it and was not expecting a seed so early :) If anyone knows what I should do, please help me I don't want this seed to go to waste.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nycthanthes seed

Hi friend , Im from West Bengal, India. If u want the seed , let it grow larger and mature. U may pluck it after spring. Btu it is the first seed of a young plant. It is hard to germinate . Use GA to germinate it. By the way , in India Parijat is planted not in the east as it is treated as the tree of sorrow . Best of luck. Chanachal .. bgan

o
RE: Nycthanthes seed

Don't worry about picking seeds. This plant is best grown from cuttings. They root very easily. Just cut branches, stick them in ground in fall and come spring they will all have nice roots and leaves. Even putting them in a pot of water will root them easily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here