Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tintin002

tamarin

tintin002
18 years ago

Hi all,

i'd bought some fresh, ripe tamarin to eat, and while eating it, it came to my mind to plant the seed. Now i'm wondering, how long will it be to have my very own tamarin?

thanks,

Tin

Comments (9)

• baci
    18 years ago

I assume you mean tamarind. Seeds should germinate in 7 days.

Time to fruiting depends on where you live. From Purdue:
    "In Madagascar, seedlings have begun to bear in the 4th year; in Mexico, usually in the 5th year; but in India, there may be a delay of 10 to 14 years before fruiting. The tree bears abundantly up to an age of 50-60 years or sometimes longer, then productivity declines, though it may live another 150 years."

If you do not have germination with planting, try putting the seed alone in a baggie and spritzing it. An outer layer will wrinkle, which needs to be rinsed off. The seed can sprout that way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purdue info on tamarind

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

If you mean Tamarind; nick the seed and then soak them overnight in some warm water. The seeds that stay afloat are no good. The ones that swell up and sink to the bottom you can plant in some moist soil and they'll sproat in about 7 days.

Don't know how long it would take for them to fruit as I lost interest with them soon after getting them to sprout. But if I remember correctly when they were seedlings they would close up their leaves at night and that was always interesting to people that saw them.

MBT

• ankraras
    18 years ago

Was it sweet or kind of a sweet and sour mix in the test?

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• tintin002
    Original Author
    18 years ago

THANKS, for the info. and the taste of tamarind tasted pretty sweet, like prunes.

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

The only time I've bought Tamarind I bought it from a Hispanic grocery store and it's always been pretty sweet. When you remove the shell and the seeds you can take the pulp and boil it with 1 2/3 cup of water.

You should have a concentrate that you can mix with water and sugar to taste. I put it through a strainer and let the concentrate collect in a milk jug then fill with water and shake. Chill it in the fridge and you have a refreshing drink in the summer. Goes great with spicy food too.

MBT

• mariava7
    18 years ago

We also eat the unripened tamarind fruit. It's very sour but we dip it in salt to take away some of the sourness. We also use it to make "Sinigang" or "Sour Soup" as how my American husband calls it with fish, pork,or beef thrown in it. Of course here in US I haven't seen any unripened tamarind fruit in the market. I have to go to an Asian store to get that Tamarind Soup Base in powdered form. Tamarind young leaves and flowers are also used to sour up a dish. With regards to how long for a seed to grow into a fruit bearing tree, I have no real facts to share there. I have no experience in propagating them because they were just growing everywhere in the Philippines. They can become very old and huge trees too.

• ntt_hou
    18 years ago

Hey, don't forget that this grows into a huge tree. So, you may want to consider having a large area to grow it.

I remember the one that grows in our front yard in Vietnam. It was as big as an oak tree. There was a storm and it broke, fell on top of our roof and had to be cut down. I miss that tree :(

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

These are HORRIBLE for your teeth !! After eating them (I did like them), it felt like tar was coating my teeth and, no matter how much I brushed, I couldn't remove it. It was on my teeth a week ! So, I googled it...and, YES, they erode teeth due to the combo of high acidity,sugars, and stickiness.

• Arthur Castro Jr.
    5 years ago

There are sweet tamarind available in the market I think

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm