Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'KANTOLA 'seed wanted.

Posted by max42 Z6 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 18:25

Hi,
There is an indian vegetable called 'kantola (Momordica cochinchinensis).Its related to the bitter melon,I would love to grow it in my garden but am unable to find any seed source for it.If anyone knows where to find it, please post the info.Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'KANTOLA 'seed wanted.

• Posted by chaman U S east coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 21:57

I am looking for roots of Kantola.

o

Is there an advantage to growing from roots chaman, Ive never grown this vegetable or even seen it growing anywhere but I love the cooked dish that my aunt makes.

o

Tue, Mar 1, 05 at 20:42

Hi max42,
Kantola is a vine grown from Tuberous root. It is a tropical plant and loves humid hot weather.At the end of monsoon vine will not survive but the tuber in the ground will survive to grow again in next season.Temp. below 45 deg. F will kill the tubers too.
Seeds are easy to germinate but it takes about two years for tubers to mature for fruiting.

o

Thanks for the explanation, I am always amazed by your extensive knowledge,Hopefully we will succed in our quest for growing this plant.

o

Fri, Mar 18, 05 at 12:57

Hi max42,
Thanks for compliment.
Have good day.

o

Hi Charman,
Were you able to find Kantola root? What is the source?
Thanks,
Devi

o

Hello Devi,

No.I have not found any source for Kantola seeds or roots.I am looking for Parvar (Tricosanthes diocia Roxb.) seeds and roots too.Parvar needs male and female plants for pollination.

o

I could not get Kantola seeds or roots even in India (Andhra Pradesh) (Aakakara kaya).

Several years I literally begged someone with pavar vines for seeds, tubers or even cuttings.
He is a commercial grower and no Luck. He said no way.

Now I am even unable to find a cultivar of Tindora, all green, small, no vertical stripes, and slightly sour in taste. I have the common easily available one with stripes.

o

Hi
I planted two KANTOLA seeds from ripen kantola. It seems both male plants.flowers look like karela.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here