Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimrbto

care of lemon grass

jimrbto
20 years ago

What care should I give my clumps of lemon grass at the end of the growing season?

Jim

Comments (13)

• adrianag
    20 years ago

In your zone I would expect lemon grass to grow year-round. IN climates which have colder winters I would grow it in a pot, then cut the stalks down and put the pot into a sheltered area like a garage.

• baci
    20 years ago

I leave mine outside all winter in a semi-shade area and it does fine.

• ladyjenny
    20 years ago

in zone 9, i cut the top off just before 1st frost and it is doing fine right by the fence

• eeseasdas
    19 years ago

I live in zone 7 can i cut my lemon grass back in winter and it will return in spring?

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Chances of it returning in spring in Zone 7 are slim to zero, unfortunately. I grow it outdoors in a large container during the summer & then bring the container indoors to a sunny south or west-facing window for the winter. While it does suffer indoors from some "cat predation", it manages to muddle thru until springtime.

• Dino_Tsapatsaris
    19 years ago

Here in Floria in zone 9b I do nothing to either clump (one is chinese lemon grass the other is Indian.) The latter is a bit more intolerant of cold weather.

• ianna
    19 years ago

Adriana, I've not been too successful overwintering my lemon grass. Can you provide more details re overwintering in the garage? Do you water the plant before overwintering? How did your plants fare afterwards? I'm starting a few stalks and should have several clumps for the summer.

• paveggie
    18 years ago

Ianna -- unless that is a heated garage with light, I'd question the suggestion for you. Posted this elsewhere, but one summer my lemon grass was in a container (12" plus or minus), brought it in when weather got cold. It grew leaves at least 3' long in a south facing window. It was lush all winter long.

• ianna
    18 years ago

Thanks but I've low light conditions during winter. What's more I have a north facing window and have started off 10 plants. I'm hoping to put these in the back of the garage during winter where there is some heat but very low light condidtions. Also I won't be able water them as much and that's my question - how often should it be watered.

Ianna

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

It's not that picky, it's a hardy grass and anything during the winter requires less water anyway. Just use common sense and keep an eye on it.

• katie_grower
    17 years ago

It's Oct. and I want to cut back my 6 ft tall lemongrass. However, I want to still enjoy using it. Can I cut it back and if yes, how far? Is it a perennial in AZ?

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Lemongrass is... well... a grass. You can cut it just as you would mow your lawn's grass in the respect that it will continue to grow. The general rule of thumb for any plant is to cut no more than 1/3 off the plant at one time.

• luv2create58
    13 years ago

I recently purchased a potted Lemongrass at an Herbal Festival. I repotted it to a bigger pot & now the blades are turning brown from the tips in. What could be causing this?

Sponsored