Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kepel fruit anyone?

Posted by maspirasjr zones 5 and 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 15, 04 at 8:01

Another query that might be familiar to anyone from the Malaysia-Indoneia area: has anyoneever grown or tasted the rare kepel fruit from Java?

I'm not sure if "kepel" is the English, Dutch or Malay-Javanese name for this fruit, but it is related to the soursop (durian belanda) and is supposed to taste like a sweet mango with a hint of cinnamon. It is also rather rare, and I read that there are lots of these trees growing in the 'kraton' (sultan's palace) in Yogyakarta. Thanks!

Marcelo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
photo

Here's a photo article of the fruit. Unfortunately, the article seems to be in Bahasa Malay, so I can't understand it! But another indigenous name for the fruit seems to be "burahol".

Stelechocarpus burahol

o
RE: kepel fruit anyone?

Ok I read that article. Its in Bahasa Indonesia actually so my translation based on my Bahasa Melayu might be slightly off.

Title means: Burahol the Natural "Cosmetic" for the Nobility.

Most of it is description of the fruit and tree. Interesting things that it explains:

The fruit has many names. In Java is it is called Kepel or Simpel or Kecindul. The Sunda people call it Turalak or Burahol. It is from the Annonaceae family (Kenanga-kenangaan), so it is related to Kenanga(Canangium odoratum), sirsak (A. muricata), buah nona (A. reticulata), dan srikaya (A. squamosa).

It is also oftentimes called the "deodorant" fruit. It is a favorite amongst nobility especially the pricesses because it makes your sweat smell nice, your breath smell sweet.

The part I don't understand is what " bahkan bisa mengharumkan bau air seni". The literal translation means "it even makes art water smell good". I have a feeling "art water" is not what it seem ... !

It is called Kepel because it is the size of "sebesar kepalan tangan" or "Fist" because its the size of a fist.

It is also used to prevent kidney inflammation and prevent pregnancies.

The article does say that it has ceased to be popular in this day and age despite its various uses.

Hope this was helpful!

o
RE: kepel fruit anyone?

here is a pic of my kepel at two days

Here is a link that might be useful: kepel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here