Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Wong Cai

Posted by rebecca2003 Z7 VA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 08 at 10:44

Hi,

I am looking for this leafy vegetable to add to the garden. I know the Chinese name is "Wong Cai", "Cai" means vegetable. It has bright green, heart shaped leaves, round and hollow stems. Young stems and leaves are cut from the plant, usually stir-fried. Then the plant will regrow for next harvest. It is said that Vitamin C content is very high in the vegetable.

I don't know the Enlish name or scintific name. And I don't know what the plant looks like in the garden.

Tried to search the internet and did not find any thing like it. I think I will try my luck here. I really appraciate information like the Enlish/scintific name and a place where I can buy seeds.

Happy new year to everyone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Wong Cai

Water Convolvulus ( Ipomoea aquatica Forssk.)
Other names: Water Spinach, Tropical spinach. Kankon, Weng Cai, Ngung Choi, Ung Tsoi, Ung Choi, Kong Xin Cai, Tong Sin Tsai, Toongsintsai, Hung sam choi, Ong tung tso; Ong Choy,

http://agrohaitai.com/leafveg/waterspinach/waterconvolvulus.htm

o

Thanks, newgardener in TX.

Well, since USDA has a problem with it, I think this is the end of of seed inquiry. How sad.

o

You can go to asian supermarket to buy the vegitable and pick the strong one to transplant to your garden. It grows like a weed if enough water is given.

new gardener

o

Good idea, I will try. Thanks.

o

Follow the link....

Here is a link that might be useful: You can get your Wong Cai seeds here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here