Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trygardening

When can I start sprouting these seeds

trygardening
17 years ago

Hi,

I am new to gardening, got these indian seeds. Want to know when is the best time to start sprouting, and also, whether to be grown in pots or in the ground directly. I have a huge yard. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Bitter melon(Karela),Indian sorrel (Gongura),Bottle guard (Squash),Indian beans,Eggplant (long, round),snake gourd, Chilli,tomato and some other greens.

Comments (3)

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Hi trygardening,

Just curious if you tried searching the forum for the different varieties you're asking about. There are many existing threads on most of them here...

;)

• thishya
    17 years ago

Hi..i have some info for you.All the gourds you mentioned are to be planted direct,chillies eggplant,tomotoes can be transplanted.In U.S growing Asian vegetables..needs to be checked with soil temparature and frost.soils should be warm enough for the roots to spread undergroung.If you consider raised beds and see the soil temp is atleast in 70degreesF that is the ideal ground.Incase of frost plants should be covered at nights or until sun heats up.Since you have a big yard choose the locations with atleast 6-8 hours of direct sun.Try planting a bach of seeds every three weeks until mid summer.next year you will know which is the best time in your zone.Get to know more about plant hardiness zones and harvest period.Some varieties take three full months growing before flowering.Good luck.

• eswar
    17 years ago

Prepare the soil. Add compost. Cow manure and some fertilizer.
    Plan for making trellis.
    Since you are from Dallas, TX you can grow Wax gourd or ash gourd (bodida gummadi)
    Seeds of tomato are better here than the seeds from India.