Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jas4031

Pest in Bitter melon, snake gourd and angle gourd?

jas4031
17 years ago

I am thinking to grow Bitter melon, snake gourd and angle gourd plants this year for the first time. Do you see any attack of cuke beetle or svb (squash vine borer) on these plants?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments (14)

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

I have not had any problems with any of them even while borers attacked other plants in the garden.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    17 years ago

I have only grown two of the three (bitter melon & snake gourd). The bitter melon has no pest problems whatsoever... it may be too bitter even for insects.

However, when I tried to grow snake gourd last year, it was attacked relentlessly by striped cucumber beetles. I put them out as transplants. The beetles not only ate all the leaves, they continued to chew the stems & new sprouts until the plants were dead. It seems especially attractive to them.

• eswar
    17 years ago

My experience is nearly the same. Bitter gourd and angle gourd (ridge gourd) No problem.
    But with snake gourd it is a different story. It takes good amount of space and the long gourds were blown away by heavy winds. May be I have a better luck with growing the shorter variety up to 12 inches.

Some of the commercial growers switched to the shorter variety suitable for shipping. Indian seeds.com lists King cobra the longer variety, a new Hybrid, but it is too long. One wind storm and Heavy rain !!!!

• jas4031
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a lot for the info. Last year I saw cucumber bettles and svb in my garden so it would definitely be a problem. I read many posts about pest control but not sure yet what to use effectively. Is there any way out for this?

Eswar are you from India? I never saw these bettles in India.

• eswar
    17 years ago

Hi Jas 4031
    I am originally from India living in US from 1974. Now semi retired and downsized every thing from house to gardening.
    I grow Jasmines, fire cracker flower and various other flowers. Tomatoes and Asian vegetables.
    I never did any gardening in India. Beetle problem can be overcome without much difficulty.
    I stopped growing Snake gourd and now I am growing Andhra cucumber.

• jas4031
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How does Andhra cucumber taste like any other cucumber or like sanke gourd? btw I came to USA ten years back and loved this country.

I got hyacinth bean seeds also and thinking to try it. I think in south India people cook it as any other beans and never heard that it is poisonous. Do you have any idea about it. I got purple variety seeds but not sure if it is the same thing which was grown in India. They call it 'Amarapiar'.

Last year I grew pumpkin and got only two pumpkins. Had many other variety squash but got nothing. I am fed up with bettles and I might stop growing pumpkin and squash. If Bitter melon and ridge gourd are safe from bettles so it is really a good news. Let me try this year and see how it turns out. In India growing gourd is pretty easy. You just sow seeds and see them grow and no hassels because I did not see any pest nor ever bought any pesticides.

• eswar
    17 years ago

I stopped growing these plants due to limitations of apace and time
    Ash gourd or wax gourd- space and 100 days.
    Snake gourd several years they were damaged by wind. And now I do not space.
    Bitter gourd- I like this good for diabetics No problems
    Tindora. Safe- and easy.
    Beans limited by space. We live in a small house. No more bean poles or trellis.
    Indian spinach- yes no problem
    Andhra dosakai Cucumber. - Easy and good yields. No problem with pests

• jas4031
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Eswar,
    Thanks for the list. I've saved it in my pc for future refrence. Ash gourd is my favorite. I was looking for it but did not know what they call it here. It is petta Kaddu you can make nice sweet with it. I like tinda also.

• ktummala
    17 years ago

Hi Eswar,
    Iam from TN and would like to know if you have doskai seeds available.Last year i bought dosakai seeds from kmart and those are terrible to taste.those look like the size of lemon with mostly seeds inside and with little flush.
    thanks

• eswar
    17 years ago

Dosa kaya (A type of Indian cucumber yellow) from Andhra Pradesh, India is an easy vegetable. They do have different cultivars, smaller, some Hybrids are larger. I get the seeds from seeds of India.com.
    I also asked some friends of mine from India to send me some. They will be mailing soon.
    .They are easy to grow and you will have lot of them.
    Check seeds of India. If there is any problem get in touch me, I can send you some. I also have Lakshmi tulasi seeds from SV temple, Tirupathi

• thishya
    17 years ago

Hi..will any one of you would like to tell others how many days it takes in your area and zones to get the matured gourds from plnting time?So others know exactly when they can sow theri seeds!It will be lot of help for those who are confused and eagourous about starting their kitchen gardens.

• eswar
    17 years ago

Check list for growing gourds
    Know when is the last frost date for your area .It is very to find it from the web, extension services or from other gardeners.
    Is your soil ready? If container gardening do you have adequate sized containers?
    Prepare your soil add some compost, humus, garden tone or what ever you like.
    Know the last frost date.
    If your garden is not protected, open like mine the snake gourds will blow away.

If you wish to grow ash gourds (gray gourds) they take about 100 days Plus. They are space hogs.

Get seeds. I get them from seeds of India or ever green seeds. Even for bitter melon 55 day seeds are available.
    These are a couple of sources, but there are few others.

Sow those 6-8 weeks from the last frost date.Transplant them after last frost with the exception of peppers.
    Tindora (ivy gourd) I over winter them in containers in my house. I plant them after last frost.
    I live in KY zone 6 senior citizen, semi retired. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me through the e-mail link..
    Chaman is an expert in growing Asian vegetables.

• ozykate
    14 years ago

Hi all,
    I am a novice gardener I have grown bitter melon and ant hybrid gourd seedlings. How much space and protection do these plants need. Trellis? wire to grow on protection?
    Can I grow both types in the same large container to protecteach from disease???
    With Thanks

• jctsai8b
    9 years ago

I grew bitter melon, got insect attack, it cold get into the bitter melon inside, strange.