Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovehummingbirds

Growing water chestnuts

lovehummingbirds
19 years ago

Has anybody tried to grow Chinese water chestnuts (Eleocharis dulcis)? I have heard that it can be grown in a plastic kiddy pool. Fresh water chestnuts taste so much better than canned ones. I want to try growing them. Would love to hear your experience.

Thanks, Ying

Comments (15)

• TonyfromOz
    19 years ago

You're quite right Solanum, but maybe you don't appreciate that Ying is in USDA zone 5 with winter temps around minus 25 C! I'd guess they might only have a rather brief summer season in which they would grow there, possibly not enough time to produce new corms. I recall that a few years ago people began to grow water chestnuts commercially in central Victoria, but even that is equivalent to USDA zone 8 at the lowest.

Just this moment I thought to consult an American reference, Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia (1971). For Eleocharis dulcis it says "Zone 7?". No doubt the New Englanders will be able to give more accurate advice.

• solanum1
    19 years ago

You are right, Tony... I checked "Asian Herbs and Vegetables" by P. Woodward and Water Chestnuts need a 7 months frost-free growing season!
    Maybe Ying could bring the pool inside to prolong the season?
    Rose-Marie

• tasteandsee
    19 years ago

Where is the best source for tubers?

thanks, dan

• mcscience
    14 years ago

I once had a great crop of water chestnuts just by throwing a few into a 5 gallon bucket with a little soil, and then doing nothing. Rain water was enough to top it off. They were delicious.

Now I'm having trouble finding fresh water chestnuts in my asian grocery, and I'm coming here to see if anyone knows of an online source.

• asparagusfinger
    12 years ago

anyone doing this now?

• plantluver_tampabay_rr_com
    12 years ago

I have a small pond of them. My first year.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I'd like to try this, too. I'm thinking about doing it in a big tub or maybe a trash can. I may add some goldfish for mosquito control and fertilizer. Where should I look for tubers?
    Could I grow some watercress at the same time?

• arthag
    12 years ago

plantluver-did you ever get a harvest? The idea sounds great!
    I might be in the market for a kiddy pool.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

So, where do you get the tubers to start? I want to try this summer.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Asian produce markets and gourmet produce markets. I see them mostly this time of year, which is coincidentally when I would want them anyway.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Great. I'll run down to the Asian grocery in the next couple of weeks. I think I'll start a little water garden with chestnuts and a few lilies. Add a couple of guppies or baby koi for squito control. I used to have a huge koi pond and really miss my water. I can't start a big water garden until I move next year but I could easily do a small, moveable one.

• mistyreiny
    10 years ago

Where do you get seedsfor American water chestnuts? Or what do you call them?

• mistyreiny
    10 years ago

Where do you get seedsfor American water chestnuts? Or what do you call them?

• Carolyn72
    9 years ago

sounds so interesting. Someone gave me one which is in water..it is now November so I guess I keep it inside in water til spring. Then I will try it in a pot of soil in the pond. thanks!

Sponsored