Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aparna_gw

Gongura - where to get seeds?

aparna
19 years ago

Gongura is a leafy vegetable grown in India and very popular in Southern India. While it has many culinary uses, the most popularl is the pickled version.

I don't know its biological name. Does anyone know where I could get seeds and whether it grows in S.Florida?

Thanks,

Aparna

Comments (58)

• napolims445
    19 years ago

hi,
    Can someone tell me where to get gongura seeds from? I live in texas and want to grow them in pots.

thanks

• gora
    18 years ago

Hi Jeera,
    Hope you have received the Gongura seeds that I sent you. Thank you so much for sending the yard-long-bean and bok choy seeds.

Sreehari

• boochi
    18 years ago

hie..
    A friend of mine game me seeds which she thinks is gongura but is not sure,they are black in color and a size a little smaller than black peppers(miriyalu)..i started them in seed starters and got little seedling but still wonder wht ty might be..if anyone one knows please tell me bocs thy will help utilize the space better.
    Btw,is gongura the same as 'sorrel' in english..?
    Thanks

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

"Gongura is known as Jamaican sorrel and is not the same as regular sorrel. Gongura's scientific name is Hibiscus sabdariffa. Their seeds are dark brown."
    - DrHorticulture

• dhana
    18 years ago

Hi,

My name is Dhana, I live in Bloomington, Indiana. I love gongura, if someone could send me some seeds, that would be a great help. But I don't have any other seeds to exchange with.

Let me know if its possible.

Thanks in advance
    Dhana

• sambandham
    18 years ago

Just a suggestion. I used to plant the stems of Gongura after picking the leaves that we buy from local grocery stores and it came very well for me. In fact i even could distribute them free to friends more than couple of times each season. Maybe you can get still them at Northgate watermarket in Devon ave, chicago(been more than 7 years ago,so don't remember the store name correctly but it is a famous vegetable market opp or across dasaprakash). worth a visit next time you plan on visiting chicago.

• hyderabadi
    18 years ago

Hi,

Sambandham garu, seems like we both are around the same area. Can you tell me how you planted those gongura stems (i mean, in a pot or ground) and is there any special care req.?

pl tell.

Thanks,
    Arch

• sambandham
    18 years ago

Hi,
    Haven't browsed garden web since december. What I did was simply plant the stems(after plucking the leaves for cooking, leave a few small leaves though) into the pot, stuck them about 2 to 3 inches deep into the soil in a slightly slanted position(like a 80 degree angle. Just used Miracle Grow potting soil and watered them. you can plant as much as 10 stems too in one 9 inch pot....haven't seen gongura in local groceries lately in ashburn or herndon, try patel bros in case you happen to go to fairfax. good luck.

• satya
    17 years ago

Hi Gora Garu, Can you send me some gongoora seeds too (are they red gongoora or green gongoora?) any variety is fine. I can send you some red thotakura seeds in return. I tried planting the stems and they did not grow. I live in Northern california.

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

satya,

Exactly how did you plant the stems? In what type of soil? Outside, inside, in shade, in full sun?

• gora
    17 years ago

Satya,
    Send me your address via email and I will send you the seeds. Should both red/green(white?) ones but they are all mixed up. Would love to have some thotakura seeds.

Gora

• sasi_2006
    17 years ago

Hello everyone
    New to the forum, would like to get hold of gongura seeds if that is possible. I live in the UK in yorkshire. Have some sundakkai seeds to trade if anyone is interested. Great to see like minded people on the forum!
    Sasi

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Folks, please use the Asian Vegetable Forum Exchange Area for to make your requests and exchanges.

• kethireddy
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I'm new to forum, I would be very appreciated if you could send me some Gongura seeds. Thanks.
    Sampath

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

kethireddy,

Please use the Asian Vegetable Exchange Area to post your request.

• lalinya
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I am new to the forum. Can anybody please give me Gongura and Totakura seeds, I have Spinach(Bloomsdale savoy) seeds which i can exchange

Thanks
    Lalinya.

• eswar
    17 years ago

just search under seeds of india. One can buy them here in USA.There are few places where one can by all the Indian vegetable seeds.
    How to use all these vegetables etc one can see them
    http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=932134

• lalinya
    17 years ago

I think the safest method is to trade seedsby post with people directly instead of ordering them online as these days online shopping is really getting riskier day by day.

Thanks
    Lalinya.

• ravi_grower
    16 years ago

You can find both gongura and totakoora seeds at www.seedsofindia.com

• vidhya
    16 years ago

Hello i am also looking for gongura seeds . I have a lot of tomato, cucumber, okra, bachelors button,marigold, basil etc seeds.

Please contact me vidhya9@hotmail.com

• siri_grower
    16 years ago

Hi all !
    i am a newbie gardner , would love to have gongura and tothakura kakarkaya seeds dont have any other to trade now , all help is appreciated
    thanks

• chadmd
    16 years ago

Hello home vegetable garderners from Bharat;
    While surfing the web regarding seed saving -ran into this thread.
    I am interested in north indian vegetable seeds of
    Tinda
    Ghiya(lauki or bhopla here it goes with OPO Squash/gourd)
    Tori Ridged.
    for next year.

I have seeds to exchange also.

• chaman
    16 years ago

Gongura are easily rooted in the soil. Get a bunch of Gongura from near by Indian grocry store and plant some cuttings in garden soil.It may take 2 to 3 weeks for rooting.

• rajani_mk
    14 years ago

I am new to gardening and I love gongura, and i am planning to grow some this year. I wanted to know if this plant would require lots of sunlight? I live in houston, tx and my apartment is placed in such a way that there is no direct sunlight even in the balcony.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

• aaaaaaaa
    14 years ago

Hi rajani,
    My suggestion is get into community gardening in your area, if you do not have place or have a small yard or any other reason. Check with your city. You can grow all you want there if you get a plot.
    Anna

• simip
    13 years ago

hello All,

I need some gongura and red thotakura plant seeds. I can exchange for tomato and lady finger seeds which I got from India last month.
    Pls mail at smithi_001@yahoo.com
    thanks
    Smitha

• ladybug_la
    13 years ago

Hi Chadmd... I just recd seeds for all these plants from www.seedsofindia.com

• rookiegardener1
    13 years ago

Chaman,
    Sorry I am replying very late. I happen to read this thread and thought that I would correct one of the comment from you, Gongura is - Hibiscus cannabinus ( relative of Roselle) but not exactly roselle. A lot of people get confused with this.
    Hope this helps.

rookiegardener1

• pavuluris
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I looked into 'seeds of india' for gongura seeds and looks like, they are out. I am ordering some Beerakaya and can definitely share / trade for Gongura.
    Would anyone have any.
    Thanks a lot,
    --Sireesha.

• ashu_vijju_gmail_com
    13 years ago

hi..i want gongura seeds..iam from mississauga,canada..can any tell me where can i buy them here?or can any one send me those seeds through courier?

• aaaaaaaa
    13 years ago

Hi Ashwini,

Try
    1. www.ricters.com
    2. www.echonet.org
    3. seedsofindia---(if they have in stock)

Couple of years ago I bought gongura seeds from them.

Anna

• seedssun
    13 years ago

Hi Gora & PaperWhite,
    Please send me Gongura and other indian veg seeds.
    i can send you SASE, if you want.

thanks

• deviu2006_att_net
    13 years ago

Hi,I am looking for Gongura and Brinjal(small thin long type) seeds,in return I have okra,beerakaya,sorakaya.
    Thanks

• aisu_molugu
    12 years ago

Hi all,

I am new to this site,Can any one give me some gongura seeds, intern i can trade with u some flower seeds(dwarf sunflower, marigold) if u want. do reply me.

This is my back yard garden:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/100762580184257990483/BackyardGarden

aishwarya.

• vasawi2001_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Can someone send me some gongura seeds too please.. I live in eastern region and am looking online to know where i can get them from and found this link.

I would also like some berakaya seeds too.. :)

• sreedevi_alla
    12 years ago

Vasavi-

I have gongura and also beerakaya seeds to share with you.
    Send me an email with address.

Thanks,
    Sridevi

• krishnarayanan
    7 years ago

Hi, I am looking for some gongura seeds or suggestions as to where to get leaves so that I can plant them. I live in Southern Orange county area in California. Thanks.

-- Krish

• ziggy -
    7 years ago

Hello, I am looking for some gongura seeds. Would anybody be willing to ship it to me? I live in bay area.

• sunhere
    6 years ago

I have some gongura seeds to exchange with and I live in bay area. I am looking for sweet marjoram, ajwain, banana, jasminium molle plants? I also have tindora plants. Let me know if any one wants to exchange with?

• sri a
    6 years ago

hi,

I live in Bayarae,I am looking for tindora plant,bitter melon etc.. indian vegetables.Please let me know if you can share.we just planned to start planting. so i do not have anything to share now

Thanks

• sunitasiddula
    6 years ago

Does any one have gongura seeds please. I have thotakura seeds.

• sunitasiddula
    6 years ago

I live in chicago, IL

• padmajachittilla
    6 years ago

sunhere, I am in Virginia and love to have some red gongura seeds. will you send some to me. I don't have any seeds to share, because i am just starting this year. Thanks. My name is Padma

• Globe Trotter
    6 years ago

Sunhere, I’ would love to have Gongura seeds if you can spare some. I’m a newbie just beginning gardening this year so don’t have much to trade except few. I can send PM with details thank you

• Globe Trotter
    6 years ago

sridevi_alla,I'm Lakshmi. I would love to have gongura seeds(my fvaorite since childhood). I'm a newbie just beginning gardening this year so dont have seeds to trade. Can send SASE. Thanks much in advance

• B S
    4 years ago

Hi Everyon, I am from Chicago and looking for Green Gongura seeds of India if anyone has. I am starting this season as a new bie but would share the seeds as I have them

• umanarayana
    3 years ago

Hi, I would like to get some gongura seeds. Please let me know if you will be able to help. Thank you!

• HU-970599178
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

hope all are well. Looking for Indian gongura seeds.

i live in southern California. can someone help?

regards

• HU-707418154
    3 years ago

Hi I'm looking for gongura seeds. I live in N.Florida.

• HU-157510552
    2 years ago

Praise The LORD JESUS gora .

Will you please send me some indian hurb and vegetable seeds , gongura seeds if possible for you .

My email is jesuslovegreat@gmail.com

And address:

102 Butte Canyon Drive

Prescott Arizona 86303 USA .

Thank you somuch

Rachel now.