Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers - Suyo Long vs Slangen Longo da China

Posted by yelena z5-6 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 8:19

I asked gardeners on a regular Vegetable forum and they recommended me yours.

I planted Suyo Long cucumbers last summer and was extremely pleased with the taste, productivity and storage abilities. I want to grow them this year too. I searched catalogs and found that one of them has Slangen Longo da China variety (Italian seeds). Could it be the new version (translation to Italian and then to English) of Suyo Long?

Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers - Suyo Long vs Slangen Longo da China

Evergreen seeds has 2 varieties of the Suhyo type of cucumber, maybe one of these is what you are looking for. Or at least close enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oriental cucumbers at Evergreen Seeds

o

Hey, they have Suhyo Long at Fedco

Here is a link that might be useful: Suhyo Long at Fedco Seeds

o

Thanks!

o

Anybody has a picture of these cukes?
They sell the seeds of some korean cucumbers in Asian Market. There is no English on the package though.
I am planting some of them this year.
There is a variety of cucumber that some times they sell
in stores like Trader Joe, which are very very tasty and tender. I wonder what they are called and where you can buy
their seeds? Anybody ?
Korean/Chines cucumbers are hard and chewy but tasty thouhg.
The ones I mentioned, are small, about 6" long, tender and tasty with smooth skin.

o

"Hey, they have Suhyo Long at Fedco"

I grow Suhyo Long from Fedco last year, and will be growing them again this year. They are good tasting cucumbers. I would recommend that you trellis them to get a nice straight cucumbers.

"They sell the seeds of some korean cucumbers in Asian Market"

I also grow some Korean cucumbers last year bought at an Asian stores, I received them through a gardening friend. I really liked these cucumbers, they grow straight even without trellising, nice thin skin, which I did not even peel and they appeared to be burpless. The only thing I did not like about them was they are Hybrids and I can not save seeds.

Good Luck and report back on how they do for you.

Dean

o

Anybody is growing Armenian yardlong cucumbers?

They are fun to grow. Pick them while not too long if you like them tender. They kind of curle up on the ground. They might be straight if trlissed. They appear like hot hous cukes.
I am growing some along Koreans and other varieties.
I like growing cucumbers and zuccinies. You don't have to wait for ever to ripen like melons.

o

I grow them also, but I get mine from Baker's Creek Heirloom seeds, www.rareseeds.com they have a great many OP Asian vegetable seeds, that you just can't find anywhere else, I like their sweet Asian melons also. I don't think that the other type you were talking about that are from Italian seeds is a new variety of them, though.
George

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here