Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhus_toxi

veg in hot and sour soup

Rhus_toxi
20 years ago

I'm new to Asian cuisine/gardening. Don't they go hand-in-hand? Having found a restuarant w/my favorite hot and sour soup, I however, cannot identify a vegetable in it. I've searched many recipes, but no use. It looks like a green pepper, julienned. It has more flavor, slightly bitter.I'm leaning toward luffa, or some call it vining okra. But, I've never had that, so am unsure. Can anyone please help me? This is getting to be great fun, got a wok for Christmas and my veg seeds arrived from Nichols Garden Nursery. This forum is great, only I could use some recipes for some of my veggies...sure that'll come later tho.

Comments (18)

• naturelle
    20 years ago

Hot and sour soups often have dried lily buds in them.

I've never had H&S with chinese okra, but it's possible some use it. Certainly the description is like what you describe.

Here is a link that might be useful: chinese okra

• Rhus_toxi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I think I ruled out lily buds because this veg is green. I would assume the buds are pale-ish in color.

• zeng
    20 years ago

I'm having trouble with this one. Maybe you can ask your restaurant about it? They should be happy to tell you.

• Violet_Z6
    20 years ago

What is the texture? Pretty soft (melt in your mouth) or crunchy?

Light green or dark green?

• naturelle
    20 years ago

This is puzzling. Anything here strike a bell?

Here is a link that might be useful: oriental veggies

• Rhus_toxi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It's a fairly dark green(like a grn pepper)and not really crunchy, but not mushy. I will try to ask them, but can be a sort of language barrier. Since they know me by the guy who orders h&s soup, they may not want to give away their secret;) When I find out, I'll post. Thanks everyone.

• zeng
    20 years ago

the only thing I can think of that I've had in hot and sour soup and that remotely resembles your description is wood ear mushrooms, but they're not green. they're dark brown. I don't remember having anything green (aside from green onions) in my soup. the other idea I had was seaweed, but I don't think I've ever had seaweed in hot & sour soup.

Good luck finding it out! I'm curious to hear what it is.

• Rhus_toxi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

J Brenan emailed me direct w/ his/her thought: bitter melon. Off to research this...

Darn, another seed I'll have to come up with:)

• Rhus_toxi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Zeng, wood ears are also in it, but that is not it. The wood ears have more of a snap crunch than this. If it is bitter melon, is just the outer portion used 1/4 - 3/8 inch thick? Is there a center pulp that is commonly used, or is it hollow w/seeds and membrane?
    Does anyone know how long to harvest on bitter melon- may have some trouble there.
    Again, thanks everyone!

• naturelle
    20 years ago

I don't believe it's bitter melon, which is not usually an ingredient in s&s soup.

I got an idea while looking through earlier posts. It could very well be preserved vegetable (either kohrabi or chinese (oriental) mustard is used for preserved vegetable. Both are a dull green colour, and likely conforms texturewise to what you had. Preserved vegetables are often julienned or diced and added to a variety of soups and main dishes to add subtle flavour. Not many prople realize it is often an ingredient in many Chinese broths and soups. It makes sense, also, as this is a Szechuan product and so lines up with the s&s soup.

• blackrose36
    19 years ago

It is most likely what naturelle said, the preserved veggie. it comes in a can and can be a little spicy. Usually it's crunchy, but I've had it mushy too. So I'm guessing that it can come in any of the texture.

• tonitime
    19 years ago

Here is a recipe most like what we make at home.....i have had H & S Soup so many places and never had an ingredient that you have spoken of in it!! It is such a wonderful winter soup - just can't lose even w/o the mystery ingredient!!
    Toni

HOT 'N SOUR SOUP

4 Dried Chinese mushrooms, -1 to 1 1/2 in dia ( or canned straw mushrooms
    2 Squares, 3 inches each,fresh Chinese bean curd, about -1/2 inch thick (tofu)
    1/2 c Canned bamboo shoots
    1/4 lb Boneless pork
    1 qt Chicken stock, fresh or canned
    1 t Salt
    1 Scallion, including the green top, finely chopped
    1 tb Soy sauce
    1/4 ts Ground white pepper
    2 tb White vinegar
    2 tb Cornstarch* mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water
    1 Egg, lightly beaten
    2 ts Sesame seed oil

* if soup is not thick enough, add 2 more spoons of
    cornstarch (mixed into cold water) into the soup

PREPARE AHEAD:

1. In a small bowl, cover the mushrooms with 1/2 cup
      of warm water and let them soak for 30 minutes.
      Discard the water. With a cleaver or knife, cut away
      and discard the tough stems of the mushrooms, and
      shred the caps by placing one at a time on a chopping
      board. Cut them horizontally into paper-thin slices,
      and then into thin strips. 2. Drain the pieces of
      bamboo shoots and bean curd, and rinse them in cold
      water. Shred them as fine as the mushrooms. 3. With
      a cleaver or sharp knife, trim the pork of all fat.
      Then shred it, too, by slicing the meat as thin as
      possible and cutting the slices into narrow strips
      about 1-1/2 to 2 inches long. 4. Have the above
      ingredients, stock, salt, soy sauce, pepper, vinegar,
      cornstarch mixture, egg, sesame seed oil and scallions
      within easy reach. TO COOK: Combine in a heavy
      3-quart saucepan the stock, salt, soy sauce,
      mushrooms, bamboo shoots and pork. Bring to a boil
      over high heat, then immediately reduce the heat to
      low, cover the pan and simmer for 3 minutes. Drop in
      the bean curd and the pepper and the vinegar. Bring to
      a boil again. Give the cornstarch mixture a stir to
      recombine it and pour it into the soup. Stir for a
      few seconds until the soup thickens, then slowly pour
      in the beaten egg, stirring gently all the while.
      Remove the soup from the heat and ladle it into a
      tureen or serving bowl. Stir in the sesame seed oil
      and sprinkle the top with scallions. Serve at once.
  • jackw
    19 years ago

I'm not sure about this but just did a search on google and found out that in some recipe they use something called Ku Cai (¿à ²Ã). Unfortunately I don't know the English translation for that. In fact, in Chinese, it's name means "Bitter vegetable". the link bellow provides a picture for it. The website might be slow so be patient.

http://www.lsxc.com.cn/2005/3-17/101421.htm

• breezyb
    19 years ago

My vote is for the "preserved vegetable" as well. This can run the gamut from preserved/pickled kohlrabi to radish, to cabbages, etc. I have several different jars of the stuff in my pantry, & they all look different - lol!! You might want to contact the Kitazawa Seed Company (link below) & ask them. I've had a few questions re: some Asian veggies (I am also heavily into Asian food & grow a number of the veggies as well) & they always returned my e-mails promptly & politely. They are a specialty Asian vegetable seed company. (Order their catalog - lots of useful info.)

And you may also be pleasantly surprised at your restaurant's willingness to tell you what the ingredient is, especially if you tell them you really like it (NOT that you want to know because you want to grow it yourself & make your own soup - LOL!!!)

For my Hot & Sour Soup I simply combine:

Shitake mushrooms - fresh or rehydrated dried, sliced
    Dried Wood Ears - rehydrated, sliced if large
    Dried Lily Buds - rehydrated & tied into single knots
    Extra Firm Bean Curd - cubed
    Chicken stock - brought to a low boil
    Boneless, skinless chicken breast - cut into julienne strips
    One or 2 beaten eggs
    Fresh scallions, chopped
    White vinegar to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste

If I have it on hand I will also add some chopped or julienned bok choy.

I keep bowls of this in the fridge for a quick lunch or supper - yum!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitazawa Seed Company

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Oh, & you're right. The Dried Lily Buds aren't green at all - are always a goldish-tan-brown.

• WoRmSiCaL
    19 years ago

If you had the soup at a Vietnamese restaurant, I would guess that you had just plain old sliced up okra in the soup. Cross cutting the okra will give you a "star" like shape with round seeds. That's the same okra found in the Cajun delicacy, gumbo. Hibiscus esculentus. The soup usually is made with some type of seafood (fish or shrimp)in a tamarind base and various veggies such as taro stem (looks like green spongy stuff), pineapple, tomato, rice paddy herb (ngo om), bean sprouts, and okra. If you go back to that restaurant, ask them if it is dau bap. :)

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Rhus_toxi,

Which restaurant and what city? Maybe I can go check it out.

;)

• cmuller_cfl_rr_com
    15 years ago

I know exactly what vegetable you are wondering about - as a lover of H&S soup I've noticed this ingredient being included more often and it is delicious in the H&S soup. I had the same issue getting it translated at various restaurants - but after an extensive search I'm pretty sure I found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zha_cai

Pickled Mustard Root or Zha Cai

This site also says it is essential for H&S soup: http://makantime.com/ingredientguide/zhacai.htm

Try it!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH