Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to grow gai lan

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 17, 10 at 14:54

I love this vegetable for eating and this year I have started some seeds indoors. The seedlings are growing well but I am still a bit confused about how gai lan works. I have grown broccoli before and I will make my first harvest by cutting the main head, then little side ones will grow. For gai lan, is it the same process of little side heads just naturally form without me having to do anything?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to grow gai lan

I had the same question. This is also my first year growing Asian vegetables. Purchased the seeds from EvergreenSeeds and transplanted them outdoors two weeks ago. Mine is still small. I'm guessing I will do as you did Broccoli, cutting the stems when they're thick as pencil (like those sold in the supermarket). These are supposed to be cut and come again.

o

Confirmed. My Gai Lan (gai long?) did send out side shoots after the main trunk was harvested. Some of the sides grew from the bottom of the main trunk, some from spreading root.

o

do you not need to cover yours with some kind of fine netting or fleece? kaillan (as it's says on my seed packet) is from the cabbage family and these would get attacked by the dreaded cabbage white butterfly when they would lay thousands of bright yellow eggs on the underside of the leaves. i'm growing kaillan too for the 1st time this yr in the UK and they're about 6" spread in diameter. they've grown well but the stem is taking awhile to thicken tho'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here