Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

pak choi in a cool weather zone?

I live in Boyne City, which is in the upper part of the lower peninsula. Pak Choi is an asian variety of cabbage and it's a member of the brassica family.

The brassica family consists of the following vegetables-cauliflower, broccoli, broccolini, broccoli rabe (also known as rapini), cabbage, collard greens, kale, turnips, mustard greens, rutabaga, kai lan/gai lan (this is known as Chinese celery in English), amaranth (water spinach), and mustard greens.

Now to my knowledge most members of the brassica family grow best in cool weather, because if you try to plant them in warm weather they bolt. I was looking at some dwarf (dwarf varieties are smaller and more compact, have a shorter growing cycle and are better suited for growing in containers)varieties of Bok Choy in a catalog that specializes in Asian vegetable seeds.

I called them to inquire about bok choy and apparently they do not do well in cool weather at all; apparently this also applies to some other asian vegetables that are in the brassica family as well. They're best grown in summer and do best in warm weather.

Now the zone where I live has a very short growing season and the summers are milder in comparison to southern regions. It was recommended that the temperatures have to be 55 degrees and above for bok choi to grow well. Although my growing season is milder in the summer the temperatures are between 60-80 degrees. My question is would it be feasible to grow bok choi where I live or is the climate too cold?

Also with the exception of a few asian varieties of brassica, do other members of the brassica family grow best in cool weather?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths