Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

7 year old Tatsoi mustard seed sprouted

californian
15 years ago

I bought this seed seven years ago on a clearance sale for a nickle a pack but never planted it, so finally decided to try it. The package says you can use it like spinach, either cooked or raw. Well I'll find out. I also planted some perilla seed I collected from my plants last year and that is coming up too.

Comments (4)

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

Last year scientists sprouted a seed that was 2000 years old. Just goes to show, if stored properly, seeds can last indefinitely.

Can you post photos of your seedlings?

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

Yeah, never throw away seeds. My 7 or 8 yr old collard seeds (rescued from my employer's trash can) still come up - maybe not all of them, but enough. I also keep them in Tupperware in the frig.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    9 years ago

Seed viability lists give brassicas about a 7 year sprout life. Think of all the varieties of Asian brassicas and you have a pretty good deal. Now if only the lettuce seed packets would germinate in year 2- typically lots of duds.

• Bish Chan
    8 years ago

I am using decade old chinese veg seeds. Most still germinated, less than normal but still pretty good rate. Sadly many perished today as it was unusually hot in the sun room, before i could open the door.

Sponsored