Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yukkuri_kame

myoga

yukkuri_kame
12 years ago

Love this member of the ginger family.

I assume it is propagated by rhizome...

Anybody know of a source? Happy to trade...

Comments (12)

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

There is a variegated form sold as 'Dancing Crane'. The roots taste the same and sometimes it will revert back to solid green if thats what you want. Winter hardy to zone 7. I left mine at my old house thinking I could just pick some up after the move - now no one carries it! I will buy it as soon as I find some.

• rathersmallbunny
    12 years ago

Hi there, you don't mention where you live, but in many Asian supermarkets (Chinese/Japanese) they sometimes sell fresh myoga rhizomes in addition to the flower buds. If you can't find another source, you could try planting this and see how it turns out.

• yukkuri_kame
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Recently moved to Los Angeles. Plenty of Japanese and Korean markets. I've seen the flowers, but not the rhizome.

• rathersmallbunny
    12 years ago

Yes, the stems are much harder to find than the flowers, but I think that I have occasionally seen them. The young shoots (myoga take) are eaten as well and sometimes these come attached to a piece of rhizome. If you're in LA, you might find it if you keep checking around. There is a giant Japanese supermarket in Gardena called Marukai (my favourite!) and it is also quite close to a large Mitsuwa. You can check with the staff as well to ask about it. Good luck, and let us know if you find it!

• yukkuri_kame
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, Marukai is great.

Nijiya Market, though smaller has shops all around socal, and has organic produce. I've grown Japanese sweet potato off their shelves.

• yukkuri_kame
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you macaronicat! Just ordered mine...

• yukkuri_kame
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Got my 3 myoga starts from Nichols Garden Nursery, along with some Yacon and Sweetgrass which were on my list.

Any planting suggestions?

• shane11
    11 years ago

I have growing the variegated 'dancing crane' and the plain green form. BTW, 'dancing crane' is still carried by Plant Delights in Raleigh, at least it was last year when I was down there. I have read that the flowers and young stems are eaten but I am wondering if the rhizomes could be used in place of real ginger. Does anyone know?

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

I think the flavor is a tiny bit different. Most people like the pickled myoga served with sushi. Regular ginger root has its own special heat spiciness that I don't taste in any other ginger.

• Dizzygizmo
    11 years ago

The best way to cook myoga is myoga tempura. My mother used to make tempura when I was in Japan. I don't know how to describe, but it's very delicious and very flavorful. One of my most favorite food. I also love to use as a garnish for cold soba or somen noodles. I just received three rhizomes from mail order couple of days ago, and already budding! I am very excited!!!!!

• yukkuri_kame
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure if my myoga overwintered OK or not. Will find out in a few weeks.

Sponsored