Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
myoga

Posted by yukkuri_kame 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 5:11

Love this member of the ginger family.

I assume it is propagated by rhizome...

Anybody know of a source? Happy to trade...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: myoga

There is a variegated form sold as 'Dancing Crane'. The roots taste the same and sometimes it will revert back to solid green if thats what you want. Winter hardy to zone 7. I left mine at my old house thinking I could just pick some up after the move - now no one carries it! I will buy it as soon as I find some.

o

Hi there, you don't mention where you live, but in many Asian supermarkets (Chinese/Japanese) they sometimes sell fresh myoga rhizomes in addition to the flower buds. If you can't find another source, you could try planting this and see how it turns out.

o

Recently moved to Los Angeles. Plenty of Japanese and Korean markets. I've seen the flowers, but not the rhizome.

o

Yes, the stems are much harder to find than the flowers, but I think that I have occasionally seen them. The young shoots (myoga take) are eaten as well and sometimes these come attached to a piece of rhizome. If you're in LA, you might find it if you keep checking around. There is a giant Japanese supermarket in Gardena called Marukai (my favourite!) and it is also quite close to a large Mitsuwa. You can check with the staff as well to ask about it. Good luck, and let us know if you find it!

o

Yes, Marukai is great.

Nijiya Market, though smaller has shops all around socal, and has organic produce. I've grown Japanese sweet potato off their shelves.

o

I bought mioga rhizome from here:
https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/product-info.php?pid965.html

o

Thank you macaronicat! Just ordered mine...

o

Got my 3 myoga starts from Nichols Garden Nursery, along with some Yacon and Sweetgrass which were on my list.

Any planting suggestions?

o

I have growing the variegated 'dancing crane' and the plain green form. BTW, 'dancing crane' is still carried by Plant Delights in Raleigh, at least it was last year when I was down there. I have read that the flowers and young stems are eaten but I am wondering if the rhizomes could be used in place of real ginger. Does anyone know?

o

I think the flavor is a tiny bit different. Most people like the pickled myoga served with sushi. Regular ginger root has its own special heat spiciness that I don't taste in any other ginger.

o

The best way to cook myoga is myoga tempura. My mother used to make tempura when I was in Japan. I don't know how to describe, but it's very delicious and very flavorful. One of my most favorite food. I also love to use as a garnish for cold soba or somen noodles. I just received three rhizomes from mail order couple of days ago, and already budding! I am very excited!!!!!

o

Not sure if my myoga overwintered OK or not. Will find out in a few weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here