Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
defoliating moringa leaflets

Posted by jay-wpb 10 FL (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 10:24

I visited the ECHO farm day in South Florida this weekend. They were exalting the benefits of the moringa leaflets - full of vitamins, iron, protein - the works.

Is there a simple way to separate the leaflets from the leaves to cook as a spinach? It seems a real painstaking process to pull one at a time.

How do you chop up the leaflets? They are so small you can't really grab on to them to cut it.

Drying the leaves and powdering it is an option - but not a tasty one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: defoliating moringa leaflets

Believe it or not, I grow ECHO's Moringa (Moringa oleifera) in my garden here, started as transplants. Of course, only as an annual this far North... but they still get to 3 feet tall by summer's end, after several pickings. Tried their African Moringa too, but it was less vigorous, and inferior in quality.

Always get very high germination with ECHO's Moringa seed, 75% or better. But since you are in Florida, you might be able to try branch cuttings, if you can find a tree to take them from.

No easy way to harvest the leaves, I'm afraid. You can strip off some of the leaves (my wife's pretty good at it) but you'll get a few of the smaller stems, so there's still some hand picking involved.

o
RE: defoliating moringa leaflets

Try this.
Hold the leaf axil at the node attached to the branch in a loosely tight fist and gently pull to the end of the leaf.You will have few detached leaflets in your moving fist.You will need to practice this few times in the beginning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here