Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indian leafy veggies full sun or shade

Posted by srilunewgardener TX Zone-8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 11:20

Hi,
I am planning to grow vegetables in my yard. I have some full sun area and some shady area. How do I distribute my vegetables between those two regions? I am planning to grow tomato, bell peppers, cluster bean, okra, Indian eggplant, spinach, gongura, thotakuta(Amaranth) and Bachali. My plan is to plant all the leafy greens in the shade and others in full sun. I live in texas, where the temperatures are above 100s for atleast a month. I get 2-3 hrs of direct sun in the shady region.Please let me know if I can plant the Indian greens in shade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indian leafy veggies full sun or shade

You are planning is O.K. for Texas weather.
Good luck.

o

Thank you Chaman

o

Amaranth will take full heat in AZ summer. I grew a red variety, not sure what kind and I had it on the west wall, in a little flower bed on the sidewalk where nothing will grow because of heat. Okra and amaranth are the only thing I've ever kept alive over the summer, although they are way too large for the size of the planter, they flourished last summer. We had the hottest summer on record and the amaranth went insane.
Watch for caterpillars.. Some kind of caterpillar was stripping the leaves off and I had to pick the little guys off as they stripped the leaves completely bare.

o

Srilunewgardener,

Good selection. Except for Bachchali and Spinach all did well last summer with the horrid summer in Dallas area. every plant you mentioned need good sun excluding spinach and Bachchali.
M GOING TO POST PROGRESS?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here