Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elportoed

plant moringa olifeira from seed/cutting

elportoed
12 years ago

Has anyone successfully planted moringa trees in Los Angeles area? I have been trying to grow it from seeds purchased on ebay without success. Any pointer is appreciated.

Comments (60)

• aaaaaaaa
    11 years ago

Wow!!. Great pictures.

Anna

• kandhi
    11 years ago

xman, I repotted them few weeks ago like 2-3 plants in 5gallon container. They are already 2 ft tall and seems to be growing very well. I heard that they reach 5-6ft in one season, I am not sure if I had to move these into big containers if they grow this big this year. I have also noticed that your moringa species is different from my plant s that I attached below. What's your variety, the one i have is PKM1 Hybrid variety.
    {{gwi:384346}}

• xman
    11 years ago

kandhi,

Your plants look very nice, good growth from your first picture. You are right, mine are not PKM1, I got these from a friend who had good results with these. I do have about 5 PKM1 trees too that are about a year and a half but only about 3 feet tall. It is a good idea to have just one tree per container, as these are one of the fastest growing plants.

xman

• kandhi
    11 years ago

I can't believe my moringa trees are 6ft tall now and already flowering. Not sure I will get fruit pods out of flowers but am very happy to see the vigorous growth of the plant from seed to 6ft tall tree in a span of 4months. I have already used some of leaves in my cooking. Maybe it is time to move the plants(trees) into a 30 gallon container from their 5gallon pots.
    {{gwi:384347}}

{{gwi:384349}}

• fluffybonbon
    11 years ago

WOW!! Moringa sooo beautiful .
    I am in northern California , can it grow there ?
    I love to find one but don't know where to find ??, please help !!

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Thanks, this is the 1st time I am growing them. I think you can grow them in CA the climate is much better than our zone. I ordered my seeds in March from seedsofindia.com website. Since I am also new to growing moringa plant I am also waiting for someone to respond on the fruit forming on these plants. Since they are flowering now, will they produce the fruit pods this year.

• chaman
    11 years ago

Moringa olifera from 2011 garden.

{{gwi:384351}}

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Chaman, How old is your tree and how tall is it? Your zone is MD and I am in VA. Can you share some tips in maintaining this plant. Do you have the plant in ground? Do you suggest moving my plant into a big container? Since is flowered, do I expect the fruit pods this year? Thanks

• fluffybonbon
    11 years ago

Oh! my God!! you grow Moringa in zone 7 WOW!! it even produced lot of fruit pod .
    How do you keep them survived duting the winter ?
    Thanks for sharing a beautiful Moringa pix .

• chaman
    11 years ago

Thanks kandhi and fluffybonbon for your response.
    1. This is a shrub growing to a height of about 10 to 13 feet here in Maryland.
    2.The plant is fixed in soil during summer months.
    3.There is no need of planting it in a big container.
    4.Flowers need pollinated by bees and yellow jackets.
    5. Plant is trimmed to a height of 4 to 5 feet to overwinter by taking indoors where plant gets enough light and temp. remains about 70 deg. F.This is a root plant.You may keep the root with it's stems cut to a height of 4 to 5 feet in a pot good enough in size to accommodate the root easily.It need not to have a large container.
    6.Water sparingly in winter only when top surface in the pot dries.

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Thanks for your response Chaman, that is very helpful. Per your experience you recommend planting it in ground outside in summer and then during winter uproot it and cut to 4-5ft height and move it into a container to take in indoors. Sorry more questions coming up and your answers to them will help me to keep them alive and grow well :)

1. Don't the root grow deeper into ground when planted in ground, isn't is tough to pull them out or cause damage to roots or kill them?
    2.what container size do you use to move indoors?
    3.since we live in same zone, which month do you move them indoors?
    4..Do you bare root them to bring them indoors?
    5.Which month do you move them outside in summer time?
    6. Any recommendation on specific fertilizer to make it bloom/fruit?

Thanks

• xman
    11 years ago

Hi Kandhi,

Your trees have grown really well, it is amazing how fast they grow. My trees at less than 4 months are also over six feet and have started flowering and have some pods already. What soil do you use in your containers?

Moringa at 4 months

{{gwi:384353}}

{{gwi:384355}}

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Xman, could not respond earlier as I was out of town for a while. Came back yesterday and when I checked on moringa plant it is 10ft plant now with lot of blooms but no seed pod formation yet. I see bees around so that fruit should form but I don't know that the flowers are dying and falling off after few days. Have you noticed that with your plants. On you question, I use 5-1-1 mix(5part peat+ perlite + peat with some lime and controlled release fertilizer). I love this soil mix as my plants do very good in it.

I see only pod on your plant did you get more in last 2 weeks?

• xman
    11 years ago

Hi Kandhi,

My tree had a lot of flowers too before I went for vacation for 3 weeks, when I got back I found only one pod and no flowers. The trees were getting too tall, so I trimmed all the branches and used the leaves. We are over 100 every day in TX, and the trees are in full sun, so they are taking a beating. So no flowers now, just seem to be in survival mode, may have to move them into the shade.

Are your trees in full Sun too? 5 -1 - 1 mix, is the first part pine bark? if so, what pine bark do you use? and how much lime and what kind?

thanks,
    xman

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Xman, 5-1-1 mix with 5 parts of pine bark fines. I find pine bark fines at local nurseries that I use but I heard that it is not readiliy available in all areas. I use 1 tbl spoon of lime per gallon volume soilmix and also use 1tbl spoon osmocotes controlled releaes fertilizer/gallon mix. I see a significance difference on growing plants with this mix. We are also experiencing high temp that helps these tropical plants grow good. I am just waiting for the flowers to turn into fruit pods, lets see how that goes. The plant is producing flowers at every node on the top and I don't like cutting but I think I have to do that this weekend to encourage more green leaf growth down below. I read somewhere to cut the plant around 5ft to encourage growth at lower level to be more bushier and easy for harvesting too. Have one more month to enjoy these plants then I have to chop them off anyway to bring them indoors for maintenance.

• xman
    11 years ago

Hi Kandhi,

Can you please send me an email from "My Page" so we can touch base on progress?

thanks,
    xman

• djkj
    10 years ago

Here is a step by step video to grow Moringa from Seed to Tree

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow Moringa from seed to tree

• yukkuri_kame
    10 years ago

How thick/long do moringa stems need to be in order to root from cuttings?

Mine is getting taller than me, and I'd like a bushier shape, but I figure I might as well take a cutting while I am at it.

• xman
    10 years ago

yukkuri_same

I have had good success with stems that are one inch diameter atleast and about 2 - 4 ft tall.

xman

• xman
    10 years ago

Hi,

Pictures of my trees from this year. See "Moringa at 4 months" picture of these trees last year at the beginning of this thread. These trees are in 32 gallon containers, and produced over 150 pods each this year. The trees range from 18 - 20 feet tall.

{{gwi:384357}}

{{gwi:384359}}

{{gwi:384361}}

{{gwi:384363}}

thanks,
    xman

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

congrats xman,

Wow!, fantastic looking tress. How old are they and what did you do to get trees like this with full of flowers and pods?

I started growing two moringa from seeds from this summer and both are about 6ft tall and hope they flower next year.

I live in Dallas, TX and from your profile I understand that you are also in similar zone, I hope and wish that my moringa also grows like yours.

• xman
    10 years ago

Fruits.Veggies,

My trees were grown from seed end of March 2012, so they are about a year and a half. You can see the pictures from when they were smaller in this thread if you scroll to the top. I live in Plano, TX. Nothing special in growing them, just give them a good organic soil, space to grow, do not over water, and lots of Sun.

regards,
    xman

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response xman.

Good to know that you are also from DFW area.

It is surprising to hear that your moringas are just one and half years old because i have some friends in DFW area and in fact two of them live in Plano who have 3 to 4 year old moringa trees that are not even 1/2 the size of yours and only some of them have few pods. I think you are taking good care of them.

I planted mine in June of this year and when they were 3 feet tall, I nipped them but both the plants didn't give out any branches and continue to grow straight. I think it may not be a good idea to trim them now, probably I'll trim them next spring.

Right now mine are in 5G containers and I was planning to transplant them in 20G next spring but seeing your tress I might transplant them in bigger containers.

Between, how do you protect your moringas in the winter, just move them garage or inside the home.

• xman
    10 years ago

Fruits.Veggies,

I trim the trees down to 5 feet tall and move them into the garage for the winter. I have 4 moringa trees in 32 gallon containers, 2 in 20 gallon, 1 Curry leaf tree (14 years old) at 10 feet tall in 32 gallon container, and a number of tindora, parwal and kantola plants that I have to move into the garage. Dreading the time that I will have to move them as these containers are HEAVY..hopefully will not have to do that for another 2 weeks.

regards,
    xman

• xman
    10 years ago

Fruits.Veggies,

Last year I had too many plants to move into the garage, so I left 4 moringa trees outside all winter. They died down to the roots at the first freeze, but this spring 2 of the trees grew back, while 2 did not. But we had a relatively mild winter last year.

xman

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

xman, i forwarded the link of this posting to couple of my friends and they were blown away by the size of your moringas and number of pods your trees have. My friends are happy for you.

Just curious, were did you get your moringa seeds and what is the cultivar name. The seeds of my moringa trees are from India and was told that they are PKM variety.

I'm sure garage gets really cold in winter, do you provide any heating or lighting? asking because tindora, parwal and kantola are vines and how do they survive the brutal winter even if they are in protected in garage.

I started gardening in 2012 with few jasmines, couple of tiny curry leaf plants and a tulsi plant and last winter was their first winter and jasmine and curry survived but I lost tulsi plant.

This year I added few more jasmines, curry leaf plants, kumquat, two moringa trees and few other tropical plants, not sure whether I will have enough space in my garage, I'm kind of overwhelmed now :-)

• xman
    10 years ago

Fruits.Veggies,

My moringa trees are not the PKM1 or PKM2 variety. I got 4 seeds from somebody that I met online in another garden forum similar to this, so I am not sure of the heritage of these trees. I have tried PKM1 variety a couple of times, about 10 years ago, I had 4 of them around 7 months old, and we had temperatures drop to 27 degrees and I had left them outside, killed them off.
    Few years ago I got more of the PKM1 seeds from India, all sprouted and I had 8 trees for 2 years, none of them flowered at all. In fact I have 2 of those trees still, they are about 3 years old, 12 feet tall, but have not flowered even once. Anyway, I use the leaves from these trees, aggressively pruning them every few weeks. But I read that others have had good success with PKM1, maybe I got some bad seeds.

I have an area of 3ft x 8ft in the garage that I use for keeping the plants. This area is lit by 6 of these CFL bulbs, these are 6500K bulbs. These bulbs are on a timer, 16 hours on, 8 hours off.
    http://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-ESL40TN-Fluorescent-High-Wattage/dp/B001AZOV9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361491239&sr=8-1&keywords=42+watt+compact+fluorescent
    I have a temperature gauge setup in the garage to monitor the temperature. The temperature in the garage varies based on the outside temperature, I have seen it go anywhere from 30 - 70 degrees last winter.

If the temperature drops below 30 in the garage, then things get a little iffy. But I have had 2 moringa trees survive all winter outside, they died down to the roots but grew back in spring.

As far as parwal and tindora are concerned, I have kept inside the house one year, and they did really bad. The dry heat inside the house dries them inside out, they barely survived that year. Last year, they did very well in the garage, and were actively growing the whole time, not much growing but putting out new leaves. As for Kantola, this is its first year, so let us see.

However, I have had Tulsi die on me both inside the house and in the garage (though they lasted longer in the garage). This year again I am going to try to keep it inside the house a week when it is too cold and move it to the garage when it gets warmer. I have friends who keep it inside the house all the time, and it survives fine...go figure.

Water sparingly, and I pull them out of the garage when it get a little warm so they can get some direct sunlight. Its a lot of back breaking work moving 32 gallon containers with soil, but you could consider it your weekly workout.

Have been doing this for last 14 years...got to have some hobby :)

regards,
    xman

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

xman, thanks for the detailed response.

Hopefully my PKM's flower and fruit next year.

Regarding, Feit Electric ESL40TN/D 40-Watt bulb, Amazon reviews are mixed, do these bulbs provide heat in addition to light asking because I plan use one car space in the garage for my plants, quite a large area, probably I may need heating as well.

For some reason I thought vegetables such as parwal and tindora are seasonal and they need to be planted every time. It is good to know that they are perennial. How long you have been growing them?

I'm going to keep Tulsi inside the home for coming winter. A friend of mine who has a 5 year old Tulsi plant told me that Tulsi being a holy plant should not be kept in garage where we have unclean things such as shoes, sandals etc..and asked me keep them inside the home and even inside it should not be kept in the bedrooms it seems. Looks like we need consider sentiments also in gardening :-)

Last winter I had about 10 plants in small containers, so whenever weather is good or sunny, I used to move them out during the day time but it is going to be difficult for coming winter, I added more plants and many plants are in bigger containers. I agree that it will be a back breaking work but I'll try my best to keep the plants happy during winter.

• xman
    10 years ago

Fruits.Veggies,

These bulbs will not provide any heat, only light. I am not sure what you can do for heat, the sodium ballast type bulbs may provide heat, but I am not sure as I have not used these as they are very expensive to buy and run.
    I have had tindora for 3 years, and parwal for 2. They are perennial if kept warm in winter, they do not go dormant in winter, so will have to be provide a growing environment.

regards,
    xman

• fisher555
    10 years ago

It's too cold in most of the US states to keep Moringa plant outside in winter. For several reasons individuals grew plants in pots, and keep them indoors over the Winter. They drop all their leaves, but would re-sprout when placed outside in warm weather.Plant should be trimmed to a height of 4 to 5 feet to overwinter by taking indoors where plant gets enough light and temp.It can remain there about 70 deg. F.You may keep the root with it's stems cut to a height of 4 to 5 feet in a pot size to accommodate the root easily.Water them sparingly in winter only when top surface in the pot dries.

Here is a link that might be useful: organicvedamoringa.com

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

xman,

Hope your plants have handled this winter well and ready for outdoors.

Last week I moved all my plants outdoors including moringa trees but still move moringa indoors most of the night when weather goes below 50. One of the moringa tree sprouted but other is yet to sprout. Could you please share your fertilizer plan for muringa's and for curry leaf as well. Also please let me know what other regimen I should follow to keep muringa happy and grow well.

Btw, I would like to reserve cuttings from your muringa tress when you prune them for winter :-)

Thanks

• kandhi
    10 years ago

XMan did and awesome job maintaining his moringa plants and within 2nd year that much yield. I am also curious to see how his moringa plants are doing this year. I have 2 plants in 20gallon containers currently in my basement, I will be moving them outside once the temp goes above 55 in my area. I am also planning to move the plants into 33gallon containers this year and see if I have any luck with having pods..

• xman
    9 years ago

Hi Fruits.Veggies, kandhi,

Things are warming up in TX finally. I have pulled out my curry tree and Moringa trees from the garage last couple of weeks. Since the Moringa tree were under lights in the garage they were ready to sprout and started sprouting leaves within days and within a week, they started flowering as well, right from the main trunk. It is almost like they were waiting to flower all winter, in fact I did have a few flowers in the garage too..but no pollination happening. I still have not fertilized them yet, as usually we get one more frost before April 16th.
    I usually leave them outside unless the temperature is dropping below 35 degrees, want to harden them a little bit.
    I am attaching some pictures from today. I was not able to bring my tindora, kantola and parwal plants inside in time as I as out of the country, so lost all my tindora and kantola plants, but all my parwal plants came back even though we had a tough winter in TX. But tindora and kantola roots were mush.

{{gwi:384366}}

{{gwi:384368}}

{{gwi:384370}}

Regards,
    xman

• yonip69
    9 years ago

xman,

What soil mix do you used in your potted moringa tree?

Thanks

• xman
    9 years ago

yonip69,

I use the 5-1-1 mix. The receipe to this mix is found on garden web, 5-1-1 mix(5part pine bark fines+ perlite + peat with some lime and controlled release fertilizer).

xman

• fruits_veggies
    9 years ago

I agree with you Xman, your moringa trees were waiting for Spring, look at them with all the nice looking leaves and flowers.

Of the two I have, only one has sprouted and the other is about to. Hopefully they will get flowers/pods this year. I do have couple more seeds, planning to put them in pots this weekend.

I'm leaving them outside from last weekend, lookslike coming Monday weather might drop to 40, may be they need to be moved inside.

Can i apply fertilizer now or need to wait until they get few full grown leaves

• xman
    9 years ago

Fruits.Veggies,

I usually fertilize after they grow some leaves or at least start growing shoots. I left all my trees out yesterday even though the temperature was supposed to go down to 32. The 32 gallon containers are too heavy to move, especially when wet.
    Needless to say I spent a restless night, hopefully they did OK through the night. I have been trying to toughen them out little by little, exposing them to some cold temperatures, but so far they have been only in 37 degrees and above.
    I have 2 trees that made it through the TX winter outside, they died down to the roots, but grew back in spring.

xman

• xman
    9 years ago

Hi,

Photos of my moringa trees from today.

{{gwi:384372}}

{{gwi:384374}}

{{gwi:384376}}

{{gwi:384378}}

{{gwi:384379}}

xman

• fruits_veggies
    9 years ago

Xman, i was looking for your update.

Not sure what you are feeding your moringa, they look absolutely stunning. I sent you an email, pls check.

• xman
    9 years ago

Fruits.Veggies,

Did not receive any emails from Gardenweb, please try again. Also, please provide your email as the email sent from Gardenweb does not have a reply email address.

xman

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Prior to this morning, I didn't even know there was any moringa threads on here. I started 8 seeds purchased on Ebay last September here in Riverside county between Temecula and Hemet. They all sprouted in ground. Two on one end of the hedge bed thrived and got about 3' tall prior to cold weather. The others stayed small, but alive.

This spring the two on one end took off like rockets and are now 8' tall and full of flowers. I will say they are on drip systems, and get about 1 hours drip every other day. We plan to hedge ours for easy harvest of leaves and pods, so they will grow no higher than 8' tall. We discovered why the others didn't grow. There is a giant boulder about 6" below the dirt, so no place for their roots. They are still alive, but only 12" tall.

I read that the Moringa Stenopetala has bigger leaves and tastes better, so we recently planted seeds of that variety in a different spot on our property. This morning one has sprouted. It's very cute and green and has it's own dripper, which we will turn off once it's established. That variety stores water in it's bulbous trunk and is very drought resistant, which is great in drought conditions here in Southern California.

I will say it is very hot here in summer, and in the winter it can snow, but it never sticks. The trees do get set back in winter, but they spring up again when the weather warms.

• fruits_veggies
    9 years ago

xman, couple of emails I sent earlier got bounced back. Sent another email yes.day, please check and let me know.

Thanks

• djapa
    9 years ago

Xman,

Can you please tell us where to buy parwal and kantola seeds or plants. We live in frisco tx.

Thanks

• djkj
    9 years ago

At first I was unsuccessful. However I followed the method below and was able to successfully grow it in Los Angeles area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Moringa from seed to tree

• istcallst
    9 years ago

I couldn't found the answer yet, does anybody know how long it takes from flower to seedpod (green for consumption)? I have a container grown moringa on my balcony about 4 feet tall with lots of flowers on it. But unfortunately the weather is getting cooler here in Turkey, about 16 celsius right now. Not sure if it will produce any pods. I am trying to hand pollinate the flowers, but not sure will it work.

9 years ago

istcallist, my moringas are in ground, so there could be a difference there. Mine were planted last September, and in the spring, they flowered and made pods. They are loaded with pods now. My trees are covered with bees and hummingbirds, and it's hard to harvest leaves and pods for consumption. I fear getting stung. We keep our trees about 7' tall so harvest is easier.

• istcallst
    9 years ago

Thank you desertdance. Can you tell how long does it take roughly from flower to pod -about a month or so?

9 years ago

The pods take about a month to get big and fleshy, but you can also eat them like green beans within a couple weeks.

• moringa-wellbeing
    9 years ago

Hi, Moringa is a very generous plant, not only for nutritional consumption, but also for beauty and well-being. Check this link below for beauty products made directly from Moringa. USDA CERTIFIED

Here is a link that might be useful: Moringa hair care products

• HU-277591947
    5 years ago

DessertDance, I also live in Calf, in the Tehachapi area. We do get some snow in the winter, but not long lasting. What kind of seeds did you buy and where. I want to be sure to get ones that will do well in my area. Thanks.

Suzanne

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County