Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Wasabi Indoors

Posted by Edymnion 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 13:12

I have some wasabi plants coming in in the next week or two. Since I'm getting two plants in, I plan on trying out both of the traditional growing methods (replicated indoors).

I have a heavily organic fast draining soil that I will keep moist with regular watering, and I have a fired clay chip gravel medium I normally use for bonsai along with a small desk fountain water pump to get a cycling waterfall going in a pot to try and replicate that method.

Has anyone tried growing wasabi indoors before that could give me a few tips/warnings/etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Wasabi Indoors

Wasabi likes cold mountain water. I am not so sure your indoor temps will be suitable, but would be delighted if you proved otherwise.

o

I grew some for years and years in a pot without a running stream. I believe the cold mountain water/stream environment affects the flavor but the plants don't care.

They like low light and damp rich soil. Mine were outside and I would move them into the crawl space under the house to cool off overnight. They start to go downhill when the daytime highs are over 80. You could grow them indoors as a houseplant easily but they will need to be kept in cool humid air. I kept mine indoors over the winter and never had a problem.

If you want the flavor but don't want to sacrifice your roots you can just use the leaves. The flavor is very fragile, you have about 15 minutes to clean and grate the root to get the correct flavor, after that it just tastes like a hot radish. Virtually all of the wasabi you buy at the store is actually horseradish. Wasabi is sweeter.

After a few years the roots will develop side shoots "pups" which are easy to break off and plant in their own pots.

o

Yeah, I figure that as long as I keep the soil well moistened in the soil one, and the fountain going in the other one, moisture shouldn't be a problem.

And if one starts to look substantially better than the other, I'll move the other into the same conditions.

Only thing I'll have to get that I don't have now is a heavy sulfur fertilizer.

o

Welp, my wasabi plants came in today.

For the record, Horizen Herbs is *LOUSY* at packing live plants. I would say don't order from them, but they're almost the only people on this continent that sell the things, so beggers can't be choosers.

o

How did your plants do? I had 20 seeds and one germinated. Same supplier. Not sure how I plan to grow mine out, thinking of some sort of indoor aquaculture.

o

Where can I buy wasabi seeds? Please help me to find some reputable sellers.

o

I have bought few wasabi seeds from eBay. Only one is germinated, expecting more germination. The first leaves are not so healthy so thinking to give super thrive 50 in 1.

o

Any one have pictures of wasabi growing from seed? Think I am growing a weed and my cat keeps eating it. Also as for suppliers of plants, please post links if allowed.

o

Hi everyone,

I feel like now I've read everything available in English on the Internet about growing wasabi, indoors and outdoors. Took me all of 20 minutes. :-)

One thing that seems indisputable is that these plants like low light with cool-but-not-freezing humid air. I live in a medieval building in Germany, and immediately thought of growing indoors in our medieval basement... It's got classic beer cellar conditions, so the temperature should never get below 5°C in winter or above 15°C in summer and of course the air is rather damp.

And, it has air vents up to street level that also let in some fresh air, a small amount of light, and never direct sunlight (see photo). I don't want to set up artificial lights... so the question is whether the natural light might actually not be *enough* in this case.

An alternative would be a closet off of our unheated stairwell that has a window onto an alley, so it lets in more of the German gray light but never direct sunlight, should the clouds part. It wouldn't be so humid, however.

Anybody have a take on which would be preferable? In the absence of further info, I was thinking of experimenting with a container in each location to see which does better.

@Edymnion, how are your own plants doing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here