Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me ID/find this edible Chinese tree?

Posted by princesspea sunset14 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 17:33

Hi all,

my good friend is from Shandong province in China and she is pining for the flavor of a tree her sister has, apparently featured in many foods of that region. I have eaten it at restaurants here in California but they are not telling where it came from. I am assuming that it is growing in somebody's back yard. I have attached a photo, I wonder if anyone can tell me more?
thanks, PP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me ID/find this edible Chinese tree?

It is Toona sinensis

Here is a link that might be useful: Toona sinensis

o

Thanks, solanum! That is exactly what I need, a source of seeds and everything. My friend will be so happy, this will be a great housewarming gift for her when she moves house next month.
PP

o

You can buy seeds from ebay or from a store in canada. see the link

Here is a link that might be useful: store link

o

Anybody got seeds or plants for trade?

o

WAIT!

I think this might actually be growing in my backyard!

Thought it was some type of sumac...but so far it fits the description. The leaves look about right.

The bark, when scratched, has a vaguely peanut-buttery smell, and I have heard that is true of Toona Sinensis.

Need help with a positive ID before I fire up the wok.

If I ever figure out how to post pics on this forum, I will.

o

There are two types of the "Toon" tree: a) edible chinese toon and b) the wild toon which tastes really bad.

These two look exactly alike. It is very rare to find the edible chinese toon here in the US.

To tell if your tree is the edible type, let someone who tasted the edible chinese toon before chew on the leaf (do not swallow). This is the only way I know to tell the difference. Smell doesn't work.

Good luck to you if your tree is the edible type. It's very hard to grow it from either seed or plant.

o

I think raintree nursery carries it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here