Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to grow tomatoes

Posted by Farmington (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 18:23

I,m trying to-grow tomatoes. I will plant them on the ground with compost plus green all soil booster plus Kellogg tomato fertilizer NPK 463 plus rock dust plus gypsum.Put all of of this mix on the root ball. Is this too much nitrogen. I want to grow fruit not leaves. Is this over fertilized.. Help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to grow tomatoes

Is this over fertilized.. Help
&&&&&&&&&

The 4-6-3 fertilizer is not that rich in "N". I dont know what "booster plus" is. Compost, depends. Most composts have very little "N" as well.

Tomatoes need a balance NPK,( 3-1-2 ratio) as found in MG All purpose water soluble (the blue staff that is used with sprayer, but you can dissolve it in watering can as well). OR MG Shake n feed granular time release, which is formulated for tomatoes and peppers.

You have to fertilize moderately, early on. Then cut back when flowering/fruiting begins.
On the other hand, most Indeterminat tomato varieties tend to grow a lot of foliage, no matter what. I find pruning a solution.

o

Tomatoes need high nitrogen when they are starting out but more phosphorus during blooms. See the video link for some great information and tips

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Tomatoes Not Foliage

o

Farmington, you will probably get more & better answers for Tomato questions on one of the GW Tomato Forums. The link below is the best place to post the question in this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing tomatoes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here