Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezyb_gw

Growing Edible Bamboo

breezyb
19 years ago

I posted this topic on the "Bamboo" forum a while ago, but didn't get many responses.

Does anyone here grow any of the edible varieties of bamboo & harvest the fresh shoots?

I've always been interested in starting a small bamboo grove on my property & have done a bit of research. Besides seriously containing it, I've read that not only mowing, but also harvesting new shoots for cooking also helps keep it under control.

Anyone here try this? If so, what variety did you grow & how did you prepare the shoots for cooking?

Comments (16)

• Mary Palmer
    19 years ago

You won't get much of an answer from the bamboo forum as they want their bamboo to grow and cutting off shoots is counter productive LOL;-)
    You can eat all bamboo shoots. Some are more edible and choice than others. The lowly Phyllostachys aurea is supposed to be good eating though I have never tried that one. I have had bamboo pickles before and they were very good. I have also peeled off the tough outer leaves of the new shoots to expose the tender pale vegetable inside. Slice them up and stir fry or sautee in butter and wine with some mushrooms. So much better than canned! There is a japanese garden in West Seattle that has a hard time keeping their bamboo growing because people sneak in and harvest the shoots!

• breezyb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info!

I've only eaten the canned ones, but as I do an awful lot of Asian cooking, thought growing some & using the sprouts to keep it "semi controlled" - lol - would be fun.

There are also a number of wild stands around here - perhaps I'll be able to "try before I buy", so to speak. But of course, don't think I'd be able to make a positive I.D., so it's nice to know that I wouldn't be poisoning myself.

• solanum1
    19 years ago

Just a word of caution: if it is an unidentified variety, it's better to err on the safe side and *boil* the cleaned shoots for about 10 minutes, drain them and then use them in stir-fry because some "garden varieties" of Phyllostachys sp. contain cyanide.
    Rose-Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo shoots

• swvirginiadave
    19 years ago

I've grown and tasted some bamboo. Phyllostachys vivax is good. The shoots are also large in diameter so are easier to prepare. P. nuda is also good. P. dulcis is supposed to be the best of the hardy bamboos--it's supposed to be good raw--, but I haven't tried it yet. Just got one started. Black bamboo, P. nigra, is isn't so good from what I've read, but haven't eaten this one yet. All these running bamboos will become invasive once the grove gets well established, so you need to plan where you plant it. If you don't have a large area, you can use underground barriers. don't plant near your flower beds or vegetable gardens. One bamboo grove of mine sends out shoots at least 30 feet from the nearest culm.

• breezyb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the tips - especially re: good edible varieties.

Actually, I have a 21-acre farm, so do have some leeway as far as planting area goes. Am in a position where I can bushhog/mow regularly to keep things in check.

• vanguyen
    18 years ago

I am from NSW Australia. I found this commercial site. Have you try it:
    www.bamboo-oz.com.au

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Growing edible bamboo info...

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing edible bamboo shoots

• shepparton
    18 years ago

Anyone tried Bambusa Oldhami? I've got it growing here. Its a clumper not a runner. They grow very high but I haven't tried harvesting them yet...

• rain1950
    18 years ago

Well, you piqued my interest! I found this from WSU: http://agsyst.wsu.edu/bambroc.pdf

Most bamboo can be invasive so I think I'll double layer some more old tires and give it a go.

• rogertse
    18 years ago

Hello SWVirginiaDave-
    How about saving one or two of those P. nuda shoots before you eat them all ? :))) I would be gladly pay for S&H for them and I would also send you lots of Chinese Vege seeds in return!

Rog in AR

• Aihuaxie1_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

I came from a region in China where variety of bamboo plants are grown on mountain hills, vegetable gardens, school yards, and rice fields (after drained). I never heard people in that area complaining about its invasive nature. I love fresh bamboo shoots. They can be sauteed, or cook with meat in stews. With creative efforts of farmers there, now the markets offer fresh bamboo shoots for 6 months a year, starting from February (before Chinese new year). My impression is that you do not have problems with its runny roots as long as you want to harvest as many shoots as you can.

I am too interested in growing bamboos for bamboo shoots. For dried bamboo shoots which can be soaked and cooked, I was told that some varieties are better than the others. So I am hoping to find one which taste better than the average. I believe that the small ones (1-2 inches in diameter) taste better than large ones. One exception is "winter bambooshoots") which were digged out of the ground before emerging and are from large bamboo plants. This is considered delicacy in China, very tender, and tastes great.

• chervil2
    17 years ago

Yellowgroove bamboo (Phyllostachys aureosulcata) grows in my zone 5 location. To control its invasive nature my family enjoys the young shoots raw.

Chervil2

• vegidragon
    17 years ago

Hi Chervil2
    I am glad to see your post. I live in zone 5 Kansas. I want to plant bamboo for fresh shoots for a long long time. But, I don't know what is the best for my area and also for taste. I checked out yellowgrove bamboo from http://www.bambooheadquarters.com/store/coldhardy.php It didn't list as edible. Are you sure it is edible. Do I need to water it a lot to get a good harvest of shoots? Thanks

• kiku_flower
    15 years ago

Hello
    The type you want is the MOSO type as we call it in Japan. The latin name is Phyllostachys Pubescens. It is grown for its shoots and the stems are used for making baskets in Japan. It grows VERY fast: on a good day, if you are really focused you can see it grow!!! It grows as a clump, so it won't overun your garden. The shoots are harvested as they come out in the spring (whenever that may be in your part of the world) and you can keep harvesting until the autumn. The shoots can also be dug up before they sprout.

• steve2225
    13 years ago

I have a stand that is over ten years old. I control its range by simply kicking over new shoots, but now that the shoots are getting in the 1.5 inch diameter range I am wondering if they are edible. How do I determine what specie I have and if the shoots are edible?

• QuinnaBrennan
    9 years ago

http://www.guaduabamboo.com/edible-bamboo-shoots-and-species/

I found this site that rates the taste quality of edible bamboo shoots. They are rated as either edible, good and edible, or delicious and edible.

I was just wondering if anyone is a bamboo expert and knows which of the "Delicious and edible" bamboo shoots is the fastest growing ....here is a list of the ones rated as delicious:

Chimonobambusa macrophylla Delicious
    Chimonobambusa marmorea Delicious
    Chimonobambusa pachystachys Delicious
    Chimonobambusa puberula Delicious
    Chimonobambusa quadrangularis Delicious
    Chimonobambusa rigidula Delicious
    Chimonobambusa szechuanensis Delicious
    Chimonobambusa tumidissinoda Delicious
    Acidosasa edulis Delicious
    Gigantochloa levis Delicious
    Chimonocalamus delicatus Delicious
    Phyilostachys incarnata Delicious
    Phyllostachys acuta Delicious
    Phyllostachys dulcis Delicious
    Phyllostachys edulis f. edulis Delicious
    Phyllostachys elegans Delicious
    Phyllostachys fimbriligula Delicious
    Phyllostachys flexuosa Delicious
    Phyllostachys glabrata Delicious
    Phyllostachys iridescens Delicious
    Phyllostachys nidularia Delicious
    Phyllostachys nigella Delicious
    Phyllostachys nigra f. henonis Delicious
    Phyllostachys nuda Delicious
    Phyllostachys nuda 'Ink-finger' Delicious
    Phyllostachys parvffolia Delicious
    Phyllostachys platyglossa Delicious
    Phyllostachys praecox Delicious
    Phyllostachys praecox f. viridisulcata Delicious
    Phyllostachys rivalis Delicious
    Phyllostachys vivax Delicious
    Phyllostachys yunhoensis Delicious

http://www.eattheweeds.com/bamboo-doesn%E2%80%99t-bamboozle-you/

youtube video on bamboo, pyrolysis, bio-char, and mycorrhizal fungi ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Czs3kI8Rk4