Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drakemoore_gw

Amaranth for Grain and edible leaves?

Drakemoore
10 years ago

I'm trying to decide on an Amaranth variety to try out. I'm looking to produce both a decent seed harvest as well as eat some of the greens off select plants.

From what I understand the most commonly planted commercial Amaranth come from the varieties Amaranthus cruentus, hypochondiacus, and tricolor.

Lesser used varieties are Amaranthus caudatus, hybridus and gangeticus.

Most of what I've read has led me to the understanding that all of these are either good seed producers or have tasty greens. Supposedly it's difficult to find a variety that will provide both.

The reason why I'm seeking to only plant one variety for the time being is that I'm looking to save seed for future plantings / sharing and I'd rather not end up with a ton of hybrid seed since I don't have any means of separating them at this time.

I also have read that Amaranth does well in poor, well drained soils which, is good for me. I have rather poor sandy soil here in north Florida and I've been trying to amend it organically but it's a slow and ongoing process. While Amaranth prefers poor soils I'm kind of standoffish of growing the very large cultivars as I fear they'll still get stunted.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

This post was edited by Drakemoore on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 20:46

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert