Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
procedure for moringa taproot to grow in smaller pots?

Posted by Craigo198 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 0:37

Hey everyone I had another question about the moringa trees. I thought I read somewhere that you can do something to the taproot of the tree and it will grow in a smaller pot bigger than normal. Is there such a thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: procedure for moringa taproot to grow in smaller pots?

• Posted by xman 7/8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 13:13

Craigo198,

The moringa has a huge taproot and very little fibrous roots.

google for "Amber’s Edibles informational caresheet for Moringa (Moringa oleifera)"

Here is says that you can pinch the taproot to cause it to branch and stay small. I have never tried it. I have noticed that Moringa is somehow able to figure out the size of the container and will grow proportionally. The bigger the container (deeper is better), the bigger the tree. My 2 year trees growing 32 gallon thrash cans have the taproot the size of 2 basketballs..

xman

o

2 basketballs?!! that seems pretty big for 2 years

o

Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 13:07

yep..2 basketballs placed one below the other..it took 2 people to carry the tree and place it into the new container.

But if the tree did not have an ideal environment to grow, like the one I had in a 18 gallon container with Miracle gro soil, that had root just the size of a football after 2 years.

xman

o

I have the largest planter home depot had. Im not sure the size. probably 18gal like you had.

o

Fri, May 2, 14 at 11:49

They like deeper pots than wider. I have mine planted in those 32 gallon Rubbermaid trash cans. Very stable, but very heavy moving it in and out of the garage during winter.
Need to get a large dolly this year, almost threw by back a couple of times dragging these. This is the second year the trees are in this container, last year they got to over 18 - 20 feet tall.

photo IMG_1072_zpsffaea697.jpg

xman

o

looks good (although were leaves just harvested in this pic?) Also most people cut down their trees to harvest and just leave a 2 ft trunk in the ground to grow back again. maybe this will force it to grow bushier.

o

Sat, May 3, 14 at 13:11

These trees just came out of the garage a couple of weeks ago. We go down to 12 - 15 F where I live, so these trees go into the garage for the winter months. They have just started leafing out, that is why they are sparse. These 4 trees are only for pods, so I do not cut leaves from these. I have other Moringa trees that I keep for the leaves, these are bushier and are kept to 6 feet tall.

These are the pictures of these trees from last year

photo IMG_0706_zpsfc98fde2.jpg

photo IMG_0691_zps9321489a.jpg

photo IMG_0873_zps58ca1625.jpg

photo IMG_0874_zps1579c0ff.jpg

xman

o

very nice and I understand now. lots of nutrition in those pics...hope to be looking like yours in a year or so.

o

here is my healthy moringa (transplanted about a month or 2 ago.

o

Thu, May 8, 14 at 12:28

nice... looks really healthy and happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here