Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chrysanthemum Tea?

Posted by toasty z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 04 at 0:39

I am interested in growing the flowers used in making chrysanthemum tea (the sweet kind). I saw a packet of the seeds before, but didn't buy it at the time (d'oh!). Does anyone know what kind of chrysanthemum is used, or a source for seeds/plants?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chrysanthemum Tea?

Visit/contact the National Chrysanthemum Society. They should be able to provide you with information on specific varieties and sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Chrysanthemum Society

o

It's called shungiko; it's a tall, lanky plant with cute single flowers that are yellow centered with yellow and white petals. Pine Tree Seeds used to have it; I'm sure Richter's would, too.

o

Thanks for this post, which I found by doing a search. I also did a search on google and came up with this link.

I have also obtained a great seed catalog for asian vegetables that offer this plant. kitazawaseed.com

Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: asian foods

o

I used to work with a Taiwanese man. When I had a cold he gave me some of this Chrysanthemum tea. It was good :-D I don't remember if it helped the cold :-) When I asked what to do for head ache, he said to take asprin - really :-)
I have seeds for the Chrysanths to plant this spring - fond memories
Maryanne in WMass

o

from what i've found, the same plant is used for greens ("chop suey greens") tea (from the flowers) and as a dye plant (also the flowers.) Yeah for multipurpose plants. I will have to grow this next time I'm in one place for a whole summer.

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 13, 05 at 7:21

I have about 10 seeds left over from sowing. I can trade for your picklebush or SASE you. I have not grown these out yet; mine are from a trade.

o

Evidentjoy,

I took a look at the link to Chrysanthemum coronarium. That is mainly for fresh cooking. Chrysanthemum tea is from a white/ivory double-flowered mum, it should be very similar to garden mum. I don't think they are from the same plant. The flower of C. coronarium could very well be used in tea, but it is not the same flower used in chrysanthemum tea. I will post of a picture later.

Ying

o

Here is a picture of dried chrysanthemum flowers for tea, http://chinagardentour.myftp.org/images/img_3242.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: dried chrysanthemum flowers

o

I've grown shungiku and the greens were good, but the flowers didn't make very good tea. It's possible that its the same plant for both the tea and the greens, but it's likely a different variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here