Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gac fruit

Posted by jmnave (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 1:38

Does anyone have any experience or advice with respect to growing gac fruit (Momordica cochinchinensis)?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gac fruit

You may want to try posting on the tropicals forum where there is more traffic.

o

Lots of info at the Wikipedia link :

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia link for gac.

o

gacseeds@yahoo.com has good information about gac seeds.

o

I had bought Gac seeds from gacseeds@yahoo.com.Seeds germinted and are growing well.I am posting the pics. here to share with you.

Gac seed sprouts.

Photobucket

Gac plants.

Photobucket

o

This is very interesting. Can anyone tell me what zone it grows in and how to cook with it?

Thanks
FG

o

Gac can survive outdoor in zone 8b and up. Zone 7b and 8 maybe OK if the plant is older than 2 years and be covered with mulch during the winter time. it will die back to ground and grow new shoots in the spring after the frost. the problem here is the late frost may kill the young shoots.

Gac plants can be propogate by cutting the trunk and burry it in the soil, just like you grow sweet tomatos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here