Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
True Mustards

Posted by npthaskell coastal oregon (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 3:53

By mustard, I mean Brassica juncea (not Komatsuna, Tendergreen, Mizuna, Tatsoi, etc., which are all Brassica rapa).

1. Anyone have experience with "Horned mustard" (eg., from Kitazawa)? As far as I can tell from catalogs and books, the leaves are hot while the flowering shoots are mild.

2. Nan-Fong (eg., from Evergreen)?

3. Osaka Purple Leaved.

3. Besides these three, I would be primarily interested in relatively mild cultivars (raw leaves, petioles, shoots, or flowers for salads). Or those that loose heat, but don't become bitter, after cooking.

4. I am interested in whether they attract root maggot flies. I mostly like to eat "Brassica rapa" in salads. My main interest in the true mustards would be as sacrificial decoy plants; if I get a usable crop, that would be a bonus (see my recent radish thread). If super hot mustards make better fly decoys compared to mild mustards, I would be interested in your experiences with (hot?) ornamental cultivars such as "Miike Purple Giant" or "Red Giant". Perhaps cultivars with hot leaves and mild shoots would be the best decoys and yield something I could tolerate eating?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: True Mustards

I've never had a problem with root maggot flies but they are easily avoided by planting your crop in the late summer for a fall harvest which is outside of their spring mating season when you usually see them. Floating row covers and sticky traps are also effective deterrents.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here