Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alcina_gw

New Soya Bean for the UK - is it Endamame?

alcina
18 years ago

I've ordered some soya beans from Tompson and Morgan in the UK. They're a variety called "Ustie" which apparently has been specially bread to suit the British climate. I bought them because I love Endamame, but there's a slightly worrying bit in the blurb at the end of the T&M description: "Important: Harvested beans must be boiled before eating (similar to Haricot/Dried Beans) to destroy inhibitors for protein ingestion." Does this mean I can't use them for Endamame or that boiling them in their pods for 5 minutes is sufficient?

From reading this forum it looks like there are several varieties of soya bean, only one of which is used for Endamame. Unfortunately Ustie is the only soya bean I've seen for sale in the UK so there's not a lot of choice! The full T&M description is: "A breeding breakthrough! Soya Beans specifically bred to suit the British climate. Plants are day length neutral and grow quicker as hotter weather commences. Flowers are insignificant but 100% self pollinating (no insects required). Soya plants are unusual because the leaves feed the pods, then the leaves fall off when the crop is ready, often leaving just brown stems with lots of hanging pods from late September. The pods remain weatherproof during the autumn, just pick as required. Alternatively shell all the beans and store in airtight containers. Soya is pest and disease free so ideal for organic gardeners. Please note: This variety is 100% GM free. Important: Harvested beans must be boiled before eating (similar to Haricot/Dried Beans) to destroy inhibitors for protein ingestion."

All thoughts/experiences gratefully received!

Alcina

Here is a link that might be useful: T&M Ustie Soya Bean

Comments (13)

• PokeyPine
    18 years ago

Akcina,

Thoses are Edamame. The reason they include the cooking instruction is that raw soybean protein is difficult to digest. Edamame is typically prepared by boiling the pods whole and then salting it before serving. They taste best when used immediately after harvest. How do you normally prepare edamame?

• PokeyPine
    18 years ago

Oops I made a typo when typing your name. Sorry about that Alcina.

• PokeyPine
    18 years ago

I forgot to add that edamame ripens all at once. You typically harvest all the pods from a whole plant at the immature stage once the pods are fully filled out (seeds are usually green but can also be black or brownish depending on variety). If you leave them on too long they will mature then dry up and harden. At that stage you can save the seeds for next year or use them as dry soybeans much like the dry yellow soybeans that come in many supermarkets. If you can find Soybean Innoculant you may want to try and get some for your first time growing them since it is unlikely that the there are soybean specific rhizobium in your garden. It is important to note that soybean rhizobium is not the same as Pea & Vetch rhizobium (peas and vetch use the same type of rhizobium) nor are they the same as bean rhizobium. Most garden innoculant mixes only contain the peas& vetch and bean rhizobium species. Innoculation with rhizobium is not mandatory but it does help the plants.

• alcina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Don't worry about the typo PokeyPine, I spelled 'Edamame' wrong! Yay! Happy edamame dance! :) I've never cooked edamame myself I've only ever had it at a restaurant. When I saw the soya beans for sale at T&M I got very excited :) The restaurant menu says that the pods are cooked/steamed for 3 minutes - which is why I was concerned when I noticed about having to boil them for 2 hours!

So...I plant sucessively otherwise I end up with one massive edamame meal, and have a look around for a soybean rhizobium if possible.

A couple more questions if I may...
    How do others cook the pods straight off the bush?
    Can they be frozen fresh or cooked to enjoy edamame all year round?

Many thanks!
    Alcina

• alcina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OOps...the cooking question should really have read something like "For how long do you boil them?"

Alcina

• PokeyPine
    18 years ago

Well you can steam or boil them. Both will work. I think about 10 min is more than enough. (Dip or rinse them in told water afterwards to stop the cooking process) You can fine tune the cooking time to match how well done you like your edamame. Once you drained them you can salt the whole thing pods and all and serve it as is. They are yummy when you get them fresh from the garden. The frozen stuff doesn't come close.

Where did you get the 2 hours boiling time? Thats way way too much.

• alcina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got the 2 hours from the T&M site where they say the beans must be boiled "similar to Haricot/Dried Beans" - and from what I've read Haricot beans need boiling for 2 hours!

You don't get 'tummy problems' with the 10 minute boil? This all sounds too easy! :) The query about freezing was to deal with a glut of soya pods I may (or may not!) get!

Many thanks for all your advice PokeyPine!
    Alcina

• PokeyPine
    18 years ago

I forgot to answer that question. Yes you can freeze them for later. I would do it asap to keep the flavour. Of course fresh is better =).

• alcina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry...but should they be frozen fresh from the bush, or frozen after being cooked? Sorry for being a total newbie...growing soya is very unknown in England. No-one here I've asked knows anything about it! :)

Alcina

• PokeyPine
    18 years ago

Freeze them raw. Just like you freeze bush beans. Basically pick them wash them bag them freeze them. I am sure there maybe other ways to do it but that worked for me.

• alcina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

PokeyPine..you are a *star*! :) I shall raise my glass to you when I eat my first crop! :) Thank you!

Alcina

• PokeyPine
    18 years ago

Just a quick note. Since you are going to be cooking fresh soybean I think 5-6 min like you initally mentioned would be better. I used 10 min because my stove doesn't heat evenly and also I think it was for a batch I froze.

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

PokeyPine,

For fresh or frozen, 5 minutes in water that is at a full boil is the optimum amount to have them cooked but not overcooked. Frozen beans have already had a bit of their structure broken down simply because they were frozen which is why the cooking time can be the same.

The key is to not put the beans in until you water is already at a full boil, then your stove issues are irrelavent.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm