Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shang Suen - Shan Suen

Posted by hankua 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 11:43

I've been growing this tree/vegetable for 10 years and propagate them also. What is the English or botanical name for the plant? Sorry about the spelling, not sure if it's correct. I was married to a older TMC doctor who says the vegetable is very healthy to eat, and the tea is good for diabetes. Also need some help learning to post photos as it would help to identify the tree.

Hank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shang Suen - Shan Suen

Maybe it's Chinese Toon (Toona sinensis (A.Juss.) Roem,Cedrella sinensis ). I know of only one type of tree that can be edible vegetable. Check out this link for a picture http://www.agrohaitai.com/others/chinesetoon/chinesetoon.htm

chaff

Here is a link that might be useful: chinese Toon

o

Great! I think that's it. The leaves on my Toon? freeze every year and I cut it back so it's easy to harvest the shoots.

Thanks Hank!

o

Your plant may not be chinese Toon. Only its leaves are edible, not the shoots.

o

According to the linked article, "Chinese toon young leaves and shoots are used as vegetable" and "Chinese toon sprouts are a nutritional, healthy gourmet vegetable and are more and more popular in China".

Jim

o

How do you post photos on this site? Then everyone can see just what kind of tree i'm talking about.

o

OK, I tried to post a photo on this site and have added a shot of the new shoots on Picasa. Hank

http://picasaweb.google.com/hankua

o

Hank, you need to copy the HTML code and paste into the GW message box. That is probably the simplest approach.

Photobucket

You can also use:
[img src="url of picture goes here" height="nnn" width="nnn"], except, replace the brackets with these: "< >"

That way, you can play around with the size to suit your preference.

Steve

o

Hank's plant:

o

I think that's chinese toon on the photo. Yes, you can eat both leaves and the shots on the photo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here