Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrianag_gw

Favorite daikon recipes

adrianag
19 years ago

I just harvested my first Daikon radish, can anyubody recommend some favorite recipes?

Comments (19)

• Violet_Z6
    19 years ago

Hi Adriana,

I don't use it often enough to have a favorite recipe and I know you can look it up easlily enough, but for anyone else reading this thread, here are recipes for daikon radishes:

Here is a link that might be useful: Daikon Radish Recipes

• nlin0273
    19 years ago

How about Daikon beef soup. Just stir fry some cubed beef and then put it in a pot of water with cubed daikon and cook for about an hour until Daikon is tender. Season to taste of course.

• flatwoods_farm
    19 years ago

Daikon Fritters: Shred roots on grater. Mix with beaten egg, flour, salt and pepper. Drop and flatten out a dollop into hot oil and turn once while browning both sides. Paul.

• gardenpaws_VA
    19 years ago

First & foremost - peel the radish. Daikon has a fibrous layer about 1/16" thick, easiest to pare off if you cut the radish in disks no more than 1 1/2" thick.
    Couple of standard Japanese ones (the kind you don't really measure for):
    Shred medium coarse across the diameter (about 1/8" thick), cook in dashi (japanese-style broth, available as granules) until tender (about 20 minutes). Add aka (red) miso to taste, as for any other miso soup. Garnish with chopped scallion if desired.
    Cut daikon in 1" thick disks, peel, and simmer in dashi until tender. Make a sauce with miso and a little water and sugar, simmer until blended, serve over daikon (with rice, of course). Comfort food, if you like Japanese food.
    Red & White Salad - traditional for New Year's, but shows up other times as well. 2 parts finely shredded daikon, 1 part finely shredded carrot, salt lightly and let sit 5 minutes, then squeeze out. Dress with a sweet-sour dressing made from 1/2 cup rice vinegar heated to dissolve 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp salt, then cooled to room temperature before use. Let salad stand at least 30 minutes before serving; will keep up to 3 days if refrigerated. This last is great with any sort of spicy or rich food.

Happy eating - Robin

• skatayama
    19 years ago

You can julienne the strips and soak in water for 30 minutes or longer to remove the bitterness. Then you add your favorite dressing for a salad.
    Or you can top with daikon sprouts or slivered shiso or goma with ponzu.

Sheila

• everettFL
    19 years ago

Howdy Adrianna! I don't care for daikons much myself but I pride myself on being able to market such an ignoble vegetable... so I thought you might like my tip as a fellow market gardener: if you have any sushi restaurants in your locale, they use 10-15 lb a week, at .60/ lb. A 20' bed grows several months' supply for me... maybe 150 lb? Not much money in it still at that, but not much work either. It's a good foot in the door for selling cucumbers (they use a tremendous poundage of cucumbers and usually appreciate fresh ones; I grow Diva cukes), edamame, shiitakes, and more.

• cleo1443
    16 years ago

Hi, I just bought my first Daikon. After I got it home I decided I had better find out how to cook the thing? I did a search and found this interesting, but old, thread. Any new ideas for this vegetable? I would also like to know if any of you use the tops.

The one I got has some growth starting and I thought I would stick it in the yard to see what happens.

Thank you for any answers you can give.

June

• melonpocky
    16 years ago

I love daikon. I prefer it raw, but it's excellent as an addition to soups and Japanese curry. My family uses it in *everything*-- my grandmother always has several gigantic daikon on hand in the kitchen. My favorite uses for it:

-Grate raw daikon and mix it with soy sauce. Use this as a condiment for rice-- it's great for sore throats.

-Grate raw daikon and mix it into tempura sauce

-Dice it and cook it in Japanese curry with carrots, potatoes, onions, and whatever else you want.

-Pickle it

-Add diced daikon to miso soup-- cook it until tender

-Add it to hot pots, like oden or nabe

And my all-time favorite Japanese soup, houtou (Japanese mountain vegetable noodle stew)
    Prepare miso soup like normal and add to it diced kabocha (or pumpkin or acorn squash), potato, carrot, leeks, abura-age, and daikon. You can use regular udon noodles, or you can be adventurous and make your own thick, flat flour noodles, similar to western dumplings in that they are cooked in the broth and use a similar dough.

• cleo1443
    16 years ago

Thank you so much melonpocky for your suggestions, but duhhh I don't know much about the type of cooking you are referring to. I realize I am posting in the Asian veg forum, but I don't know anything about Asian cooking....I only do Chinese take out lol

This will teach me not to buy vegetables I know nothing about. I guess I will just cut it up in an Irish Stew stew sort of thing....

Do you know anything about wether or not the green top is edible?

• melonpocky
    16 years ago

Ah, haha sorry. There are a lot of resources for Japanese cooking~ just google "daikon recipe" and you should get blasted with hits.

I'm pretty much only familiar with Japanese and Korean uses for daikon. You can eat the stem, just like any other radish, but I think it's best when young and tender. Daikon is pretty sweet in flavor, so I don't know how well it would go with an Irish stew (but don't let that discourage you!).

I would recommend trying a Japanese curry. It's basically a slightly spicy thick meat stew with carrots, potatoes, and onions. I like to add daikon, mushrooms, and squash or eggplant to mine. Anyway, you can find the roux in most grocery stores and in almost every Asian grocery. Look for a thin rectangular box that says "Golden Curry" or "Vermont Curry" or something to that effect and it will have instructions for preparing it on the box. It's quick and easy to make-- chop veggies and meat, boil it in water, add roux, and you're done! Serve it over rice or pasta (spaghetti is quite popular) and you have yourself a delicious and filling meal. I will guarantee that it is hella better than Chinese takeout ;)

• cleo1443
    16 years ago

Thanks again for your response. At this point I would rather give the daikon to you and wait for an invitation to dinner at your house!

Actually, you have made that stew sound so delicious I will go to my grocery store and buy yet another ingredient I have never had before, and never knew I needed....who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks

Again ....Thanks for your time and the information

• cyumickey
    16 years ago

I never thought about adding daikon to curry...! Or eggplant for that matter. I do put kabocha in it sometimes...but then again I put kabocha in everything...

The Vermont Curry is the best, IMO

• melonpocky
    16 years ago

Cleo-- I hope that you end up trying out the curry, and good luck with the daikon! :D In my experience, people who have never had Japanese curry generally like it, if not totally love it. It's something that I like to make if I have to feed large numbers of my big male friends or just myself for a month and don't feel like making anything terribly complicated.

Cyumickey-- ARGH I will be adding kabocha to my next curry. Or I'll just eat dinner at your house. That sounds so amazingly yummy! I picked up a leaflet that House had for free next to their curries a while back-- it had some beautiful pictures of curries with various non-traditional veggies added in (eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc) and whole dried chilies floating on top.

I usually buy Kokumaro curry since it's the best value or Golden because it's the easiest to find in a pinch. I tried Java and Vermont on the boyfriend-- he liked the Java while I thought it tasted a little too much like salty fast food katsu curry, and he did not like the Vermont while it made me nostalgically think of meals at home. In the end we will probably stick with the Kokumaro and Golden curries.

Have you tried adding apples to the Vermont curry? It seems redundant, but I remember my aunt making it that way years and years ago, and it was strangely good. I keep meaning to try that, but since I don't care much for apples I always forget to buy them when I do my shopping.

Good lord I could talk about curry for days.

• cyumickey
    16 years ago

melonpocky - LOL The Vermont curry makes me think of home and growing up, too! It's the only one my mom ever used, so therefore is the only one I buy. I've discovered that you must use beef in order for it to taste "right" LOL...

nope, no apples in curry, only in potato salad...

sorry OP for the hijack...

• cleo1443
    16 years ago

This is an old (April 2004) thread that I brought back to life because I bought a vegetable that I knew nothing about....except the name. I have curry on my shopping list. I shop in Albertson's and they have quite a few out of the ordinary items for sale. I will make sure I get one that has instructions on it.

Neither of you have mentioned the greens....are they edible? The top of mine is sprouting and I was going to put it in the ground and see what happens....I live in South Florida so I have no fear of a freeze, or snow.

• naturelle
    15 years ago

When I was young, my mother used to grate the raw daikon and we would have it mixed with soya sauce over grilled salmon. Always served with hot rice.

I still do this every now and then. It's a simple, light, healthy meal.

Another one from the old days I enjoy is grated ginger and soya sauce over fresh tofu. Also with hot rice and a stir fried asian vege on the side.

Ted

• amberlyn
    15 years ago

Daikon Radish tops:
    "Radish Top Soup". Google will find at least two recipes. Onions, potatoes, radish tops, S&P, and 6 cups chicken broth (mine was homemade). Puree. We added crumble, sauteed pork to serve.

"Five Element Vegetable Broth".(Google for recipe)Daikon radish leaves, carrots, burdock root, daikon root, and shitaki mushroom. Given the medicinal aspects of this broth, I made it and froze in quarts to add to soups this winter.

• mspecht_spectraservices_com
    13 years ago

Looking for a Farmers Market in or near Fort Myers that sells Daikon Radishs

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz