Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dallascactilover

Mango seed... anyone plant one?

DallasCactiLover
19 years ago

Has anyone planted a mango seed? Should it dry out first? Any luck with the plant? What's the root structure like?

Comments (10)

• Rizz
    19 years ago

mango is a tropical plant. not likely to survive where you live. I tried sprouting logan and lycee from the seeds of fresh logans. Had it for two year indoor during winter and outside during the rest of the year. Third winter killed them all when I left them outside. *sigh* Good luck

• baci
    19 years ago

You can grow a mango in your zone  you just have to bring it indoors. I recently got a letter from a friend of mine in Hungary  she got hers through her first winter.

After eating the mango peel the outer husk, being careful to not injure the seed. I use a wire cutter. The seed has a pointed & rounded end; I start peeling it at the rounded end because it has more air space. Do not let the seed dry first as the husk will adhere to the seed. Wrap it in a moist paper towel & place it in a baggie in a warm place. The seed can stay in the baggie for a month. After the roots develop you can plant it out. You can also leave the seedling in the baggie until the stems & leaves develop. If the seed starts to turn black, plant it out, as it will die anyway. Plant it in a pot  pests such as worms & slugs can easily destroy the seed if it is placed in the soil.

Get as much growth on the plant as you can the first year as there is a higher die off rate the first winter.

• jun_
    18 years ago

after eating the fruit, take a sharp instrument, I used my felco pruners, and cut the hard outer coat of the seed. You can remove it completely or just open it sufficiently for the plant inside to grow without too much effort. The inside is the embryo, stick in the dirt, and it should sprout in no time.

why not just buy a grafted mango, some of them are dwarves growing no more than 6 ft tall and have plenty of fruit. You can keep them in a pot and they will have full sized fruit very soon. I bought a mango tree from ebay, and I love it.

• SilverFlower3a
    18 years ago

I have tried and tried to open your "Mango Seedlings" pictures and I can not. All I get is a drawing of what must be a Mango Tree on a Beige background. Need help to Open your Link..

• megzzz
    18 years ago

Here's some pictures of my mango:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megz/15005486/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/megz/18812091/ This is a "Tommy Atkins" variety. I also have a smaller Langra mango started, here's a picture of that seedling:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megz/19040739/

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos megzzz!

Would love to see photos of continued progress/stages of growth.

• tasty
    17 years ago

hi do you take the seed compeltly and plant without the shell or do you just slightly open the top and plant it with the shell

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

I've had no problem just tossing them in a pot and keeping moderately moist. They will want warm temps to germinate. Wet and cold and they will rot.

Mangoes can produce in pots. My little seedling mango fruited quite nicely in a tiny pot in FL, but squirrels ate the fruit.

Biggest problem with pulling the mango indoors in winter could be pollination, as they flower in winter? Dunno, just thinking out loud.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Love all the suggestions. As for getting the seed out of the husk I found if I run my finger along the rounded side I can find a gap between the two sides and have no problem opening it with a thin bladed knife.

• Dinudaya
    11 years ago

Mango, popularly known as the king of fruit, belongs to Anacardeaceae family of trees. Taste, flavor and fragrance of mango is very characteristic to the same.

Mango was originated in India.

Climatic requirements
    Mango tree is well adopted to tropical and subtropical environmental conditions. It can be cultivated until up to 1300 m above mean sea level. However, commercial cultivations are limited to areas below 600 m above mean sea level.

Optimum temperature for mango cultivation is 27-30C. Mango is successfully cultivated in areas where annual rainfall range from 500-2500 mm. For a successful crop, most important thing is the distribution of rainfall rather than the amount.

A dry period of 3-4 months is an essential prerequisite for successful flowering of mango. Rains at flowering may affect yield due to pollen wash off.

Soil
    Mango can be cultivated in a wide range of soil conditions. A well drained soil with 2 M depth is the best. Soil pH must be 5.5-6.5. Soils with high clay content or with frequent water logging is not suitable for successful cultivation of mango.

At first, remove the husk of the seed. Make a small cut at the distal end of the seed and pull the husk away to get the seed inside without any damage to it. When the cut is made at the distal end of the seed with husk, even if it cuts the seed inside, it does not damage the embryo.

Extracted seeds may have mango weevils inside. When such seeds are planted, whole seed may be destroyed. Therefore, dip the seeds in an insecticide solution such as 'Dimethoate' before planting for a few minutes. Use of fungicides such as 'Captan' at this time is helpful to protect the seeds from fungal infections at the nursery.

Seeds treated with insecticide and fungicide solution must be planted in a sandy seed bed. For the seed bed, use a 15-20 cm thick layer of sand. Sand beds must be laid out in a place with slight shade. However, never under trees such as mango or avocado. Then it is easy to protect the seedlings from certain fungal diseases.

In the sand bed plant seeds in a row spaced 15-20 cm apart. Curved side of the seed must be downward at planting. Spacing of 2-3 cm is allowed between two seeds in a row.

After seeding, keep the sand bed moist at all times. Seeds germinate and seedlings emerge 10-14 days after planting. About three weeks after emergence, seedlings are suitable for transplanting in polyethylene pots or any other secondary nursery.

If a media such as coir dust is used for germination of seeds, care must be taken to maintain the appropriate moisture level. At high moisture levels, seedling may be infected with fungal diseases. Plants hardened in the seed bed may be transferred to polyethylene pots filled with a suitable media. Else plants may be transplanted well prepared secondary nursery.

Sponsored