Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long to germinate eggplants?

Posted by cyumickey Sunset 18 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 08 at 15:09

I started some white eggplants at the same time as tomatoes. All the tomatoes have germinated or at least started to sprout, but I've got nothing on the eggplant...It's been almost 7 days now.

thanks!

c

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long to germinate eggplants?

Are you providing heat or keeping them in a warm area? Eggplants prefer much warmer temperatures than tomatoes. I almost gave up on my eggplants after nearly a month of no activity when they finally popped up. I think being on a windowsill while the sun warmed their container finally coaxed them out of hiding~ so don't lose hope!

o

I started mine the same time as tomatoes too. Tomatoes all sprouted in 6-7 days, purple ball/indian eggplant was a day or so behind. For my other 2 types of eggplant, still waiting to see a sprout after 2 weeks. Some of my hot peppers that were planted at the same time just sprouted, so I haven't given up on the other eggplants yet. Just be patient.

o

thanks...it's been over a week now, and my tomatoes are just about ready to be transplanted, but alas, still no eggplants...I won't give up!

o

Melonpocky, is right - eggplants need a little more heat for germination than tomatoes require. You can take a look at the link below and see what the University of Minnesota found.

The differences may be even more extreme - UM didn't test the full range of temps with the eggplant seeds. So, if eggplant seed can germinate in 2 weeks at 68F and it takes the same length of time for tomato seed at only 59F, it might have taken a month for the eggplant at 59. Or, they may never germinate at that temperature.

My special indoor location for germinating seed is above the refrigerator in the kitchen. It is always 70 or above up there, day and night.

When I've had germination problems, I've always been willing to blame the seed company and go looking for a different packet at the garden center. I'd hate to miss growing one of my favorite vegetables in a freshly cultivated garden. Waiting another 12 months for a 2nd chance would be unacceptable.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Seed Germination and Soil Temperatures

o

I have them by the window in the kitchen (south facing). It's been consistently hot here, so I know the daytime soil temps have been up there (80's I'm sure)...

I may just have to hit up the japanese nursery and get asian eggplant seedlings there...

o

My eggplants seem to be taking a very long time to germinate this year. I planted some out in mid March and they are just germinating now. Some of the varieties are: Burpee Gourmet mix, Fairy Tale hybrid, Dusky, Louisiana Long Green,and Antigua.

o

My first sprout popped up yesterday!!! I'm so excited. I hope I don't kill it so I can have at least one white eggplant plant...lol

o

I started a couple more seeds in a baggie on the window the other day...plus I just ordered some Kamo eggplants from Kitazawa...kind of late, I know, but we have a long season here so I'm sure it will be ok...

o

Just wanted to give my props to Kitazawa...

Ordered thursday, received my seeds on saturday via priority mail!

o

Hello cyumickey,

I grow eggplants from seed every year. For me the seeds usually sprout in 9 days. What I did was put a heating pad (with the setting at medium) underneath the tray. In addition, I also cover the containers loosely with black plastic until the seeds sprout. Once they have sprouted, I move them to a sunny window This never fails for me. Hope it helps.

saila

o

Thanks. My one white eggplant seedling is happily growing in a sunny window. I direct sowed more white and the kamo yesterday. We shall see. I'm not having very much luck this year... :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here