Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyumickey

how long to germinate eggplants?

cyumickey
16 years ago

I started some white eggplants at the same time as tomatoes. All the tomatoes have germinated or at least started to sprout, but I've got nothing on the eggplant...It's been almost 7 days now.

thanks!

c

Comments (11)

• melonpocky
    16 years ago

Are you providing heat or keeping them in a warm area? Eggplants prefer much warmer temperatures than tomatoes. I almost gave up on my eggplants after nearly a month of no activity when they finally popped up. I think being on a windowsill while the sun warmed their container finally coaxed them out of hiding~ so don't lose hope!

• kojac_phx
    16 years ago

I started mine the same time as tomatoes too. Tomatoes all sprouted in 6-7 days, purple ball/indian eggplant was a day or so behind. For my other 2 types of eggplant, still waiting to see a sprout after 2 weeks. Some of my hot peppers that were planted at the same time just sprouted, so I haven't given up on the other eggplants yet. Just be patient.

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks...it's been over a week now, and my tomatoes are just about ready to be transplanted, but alas, still no eggplants...I won't give up!

• digit
    16 years ago

Melonpocky, is right - eggplants need a little more heat for germination than tomatoes require. You can take a look at the link below and see what the University of Minnesota found.

The differences may be even more extreme - UM didn't test the full range of temps with the eggplant seeds. So, if eggplant seed can germinate in 2 weeks at 68°F and it takes the same length of time for tomato seed at only 59°F, it might have taken a month for the eggplant at 59°. Or, they may never germinate at that temperature.

My special indoor location for germinating seed is above the refrigerator in the kitchen. It is always 70° or above up there, day and night.

When I've had germination problems, I've always been willing to blame the seed company and go looking for a different packet at the garden center. I'd hate to miss growing one of my favorite vegetables in a freshly cultivated garden. Waiting another 12 months for a 2nd chance would be unacceptable.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable Seed Germination and Soil Temperatures

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have them by the window in the kitchen (south facing). It's been consistently hot here, so I know the daytime soil temps have been up there (80's I'm sure)...

I may just have to hit up the japanese nursery and get asian eggplant seedlings there...

• booberry85
    16 years ago

My eggplants seem to be taking a very long time to germinate this year. I planted some out in mid March and they are just germinating now. Some of the varieties are: Burpee Gourmet mix, Fairy Tale hybrid, Dusky, Louisiana Long Green,and Antigua.

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My first sprout popped up yesterday!!! I'm so excited. I hope I don't kill it so I can have at least one white eggplant plant...lol

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I started a couple more seeds in a baggie on the window the other day...plus I just ordered some Kamo eggplants from Kitazawa...kind of late, I know, but we have a long season here so I'm sure it will be ok...

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wanted to give my props to Kitazawa...

Ordered thursday, received my seeds on saturday via priority mail!

• sailamint
    15 years ago

Hello cyumickey,

I grow eggplants from seed every year. For me the seeds usually sprout in 9 days. What I did was put a heating pad (with the setting at medium) underneath the tray. In addition, I also cover the containers loosely with black plastic until the seeds sprout. Once they have sprouted, I move them to a sunny window This never fails for me. Hope it helps.

saila

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. My one white eggplant seedling is happily growing in a sunny window. I direct sowed more white and the kamo yesterday. We shall see. I'm not having very much luck this year... :(

Sponsored