Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know where to buy sawtooth herb seed?

Posted by Rizz NC7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 05 at 15:16

hi,
Does anyone know where I can buy the seed to the Vietnamese herb so called "sawtooth". They put them in the Vietnamese Beef Noodles "pho". I want to grow them, but don't have the seeds. I looked everywhere on-line, Evergreen, Oriental Vegetable, Kitwazan, etc., and no one seems to carry it. Anyone know any secret source? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know where to buy sawtooth herb seed?

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 7:04

Are you looking for culantro (Eryngium foetidum)? I have had it in pho, but not in the noodles. Where I eat you simply tear up the herb & add it to your soup. See if this is what you are looking for:

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/essentials/herbs.htm

Also, they spell it saw-tooth herb or ngo gai.

o

• Posted by Rizz NC (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 12:20

yes yes yes, that's what I"m looking for....but it's hard to find the seeds for sale anywhere. I"m trying to root the Vietnamese coriander or hot mint (Polygonum odoratum) by using the stem I got at an asian store. I hope they do come up rooted. It's doesn't seem to be since the stem itself is drying up pretty quickly.

o

Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 22:54

Try doing a search for "Eryngium foetidum seeds." I don't think a leaf will propagate, although I had the same idea myself. It is usually propagated by seeds or divisions. I think it is biennial.

o

Sun, Apr 24, 05 at 23:02

Sorry to re-post, but I thought you were rooting culantro. On the Vietnamese coriander, strip the lower leaves (carefully), wrap the stems in a paper towel & then in some plastic. They should start rooting in a couple of days. If the upper leaves start to wilt, you can wrap them in a paper towel also. Any bad leaves - get rid of them so they are not stressing the cutting.

o

• Posted by Rizz NC (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 10:27

HI Baci
Thank you so much for your help. I'll try doing that.
I think a small amount of root is forming at the bottom of the stem of the vietnamese coriander even though the leaves had already dried up and felt off. I"m just keeping my finger crossed.

o

You can order culantro seeds at Johnny's Selected Seeds http://www.johnnyseeds.com/
I have ordered from them many times and am very satisfied with their service.

o

How many plants do you all have at one time? I've found foilage production to be quite slow even thought it's not bolting.

o

I actually just purchased these seeds on http://www.richters.com/ It can also be called mexican coriander(Eryngium foetidum). This site has a lot of other great vietamese herbs. These are the ones that I found on their site: anise basil(Thai basil), perilla purple (Japanese hojiso), Vietnamese mint, rau om (rice paddy herb), and Vietnamse coriander. They have a really great cataloge as well. Also, check out http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/essentials/herbs.htm. I found a lot of good info on the different herbs here. It was hard to know which ones to buy without seeing the pics there first.

o

Yes, Richters is one of the largest herb seed companies in the world. There are many other excellent vendors out there as well. Notice that Vietnamese Coriander is not sold as seed, but as a plant because it almost never goes to seed. (this was discussed in another thread in this forum)

I do prefer to order from smaller, specialized companies in order to support their endeavors.

o

Pgraymendoza, the Vietnamese coriander will not bolt in high temperatures, so is good for summer growing in a salsa garden. It is not the Same as the mexican variety, but smells and tastes very similar.

o

Ciao all-

Happily, I live close enough to Richters to be able to visit the nursery, which I did yesterday and got a Culantro plant as well as some seeds. I want to see how it does in the garden this year. I'm not expecting it to over-winter in our climate, which is why I also got some seeds to try growing it from here on out.

o

I am growing culantro right now from seed I bought from Seeds of India. The seedlings are very tiny and slow growing. This plant is a member of the Eryngium genus. You can cut the flower stalks off to keep the plant leafing out. Leaves become tough and less desirable after flowering.

o

I grow sawtooth coriander and would be happy to send anyone seeds free if you mail me a self addressed / stamped envelope. When they go to seed there are hundreds of them. It's now Sep 2012 and I just planted 12 pots with 20 seeds each. If you care to email me to make sure seeds are available please do so at michaelmalone007 at gmail.com

Michael Malone
2501 Catalina Dr
Orlando FL 32805

o
Sawtooth Coriander Seeds for Free

Greetings again, My Sawtooth Coriander plants just won't stop sending out seed flowers. I posted back in Sept '12 that I had seeds and I now have more than ever. Anyone who cares to have them please simply send a single stamp and I will be happy to return seeds. I've been fortunate to have met some great people this way and hope to continue. The seeds have over an 80% success rate so far. I, also, have Thai and Holy Basil seeds if anyone cares to have them.. they, also, will fit inside the envelope with no further postage. If anyone has heirloom tomato seeds to share I won't even ask for a postage stamp ... maybe we could just send each other the seeds. Hope to hear from chefs using sawtooth coriander !!!

Michael Malone
2501 Catalina Drive
Orlando, Florida 32805

michaelmalone007 (at) gmail.com

o

It's June 3, 2013 and my plants are putting out seed pods again so they are still free to anyone who will mail a postage stamp with your return address. I've sent about 6 packages out already. These are just beginning ripen.

o

Greetings, this is my third or fourth season for my sawtooth coriander seeds to harvest. I have a bumper crop with thousands and thousands of fertile seeds to share freely. These are grown organically in Orlando. I've mailed these seeds all over and have made some great gardening friends from it. Anyone wanting a few hundred for free please send me a single stamp and your mailing address to:

Michael Malone
2501 Catalina Drive
Orlando, Florida 32805

PS They are about 90 percent ready to harvest and should be dry in about a week or two which should put it around the end of April 2014.

o

Ooops forgot to include my email address... it's michaelmalone007 at gmail.com

o

Hi checking the availability of sawtooth coriander seeds.. do you still have

o

I've just harvested half of my sawtooth coriander seeds and have millions of them. Anyone who cares to have all they need for free is more than welcome to them. Just email me or send a single stamp to:

Michael Malone
2501 Catalina Drive
Orlando, Florida 32805

michaelmalone007 (at) gmail.com

o

Hi Michael,
I have a hard time growing them from seeds I bought from many places, I think I wasted at least 4 packets of them. So I'm interested in both your seeds and plants. I've heard that it could be propagated from roots, is that true? I'll email you as we'll.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here