Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Asian vegetables can grow in large pots?

Posted by farmerted361 5/6 W Seneca NY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 16, 06 at 16:21

Hi, All.
What could grow in pots, and does anyone have seeds to share, I have some heirloom tomato seeds to trade for them.

Thanks, Ron:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Asian vegetables can grow in large pots?

Just about anything can grow in a container. If you're looking to trade seeds, please go to the Exchange area of this forum or just post "Asian Vegetables Wanted" at the Seed Exchange Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Exchange Forum

o

Ron, I've been growing pak choy very well in white plastic bins, about 16X12X8", that I punch drainage holes in. I harvest the greens at the baby stage, at about 3-4".

o

Try Gobo ( Burdock ) and sweet potatoes.

o

Ron, the Asian greens seem to all be quite shallow rooted plants. Fliptx suggests pak choy and I think that is a good idea. We grow the dwarf Mei Qing variety and that may be the best choice to allow to reach maturity. If slugs can be avoided, you could really "pack" the pak choy into a pot.

Watering is a real issue here and I've only got so much time so have few containers. They really require daily attention.

Sweet potatoes would make an attractive container plant where appearance is an issue.

Steve

o

If it's not too late to chime in, there were a few melon plants I grew in large pots (cleaned out kitty litter containers) with what I call good success. That would include foo gwa (or bitter melon), mao gwa (fuzzy gourd), delica squash -- is that considered an Asian vege? -- tong gwa as well as tomatoes and hot peppers. I like a good challenge and a lot of diligence on my part with the watering and feeding especially on hot days. I'll never know what I can and can't grow unless I just jump in and do it. And I love watching things grow. Your mileage may vary!

Anyway, hope this helps a bit! Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Asian Vegetables Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here