Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shmruthi

Indian Curry leaves Plant - Need help

shmruthi
20 years ago

Hi!,

I live in LA county, I have a curry leaves plant which is 5-6 inches tall for the past 2 years. There is no new growth. Plant looks healthy. I water as needed and give sour yogurt and miracle grow regularly. It is in the ground in a area where it gets plenty of sunshine.

Thanks.

Comments (31)

• geeta04
    20 years ago

Hi,
    I have curry leaf plant it's about 2 and 1/2 feet tall then I transplanted into bigger pot it was fine about week and now the branches are little droopy and the tip of the plant does not even grow anymore. What can I do to make my curry leaf tree grow tall and healthy again.

• Violet_Z6
    20 years ago

How much bigger of a pot? What type of soil? Where is it located? What temperature is it? How much light does it get?

• DaraMV
    20 years ago

Does this plant do better in the shade? I notice that the tips of the new buds are crispy from being in the hot sun. :(
    Dara

• chaman
    20 years ago

Murraya Koenigii grow slowly during first three years.They love partial shade and moisturious surroundings.Large pots will encourage thin side roots which will impede the growth. Fertilize sparingly. I keep the pots near the mint bed for moisture.

chiman

• geeta04
    20 years ago

Hi,
    I have 2 1/2 feet tall curry leaf plant and recently I transplanted into bigger pot and now the leaves and the branches are droopy and the tip of the plant does not even grow. Can anyone please help my plant grow tall make it purkup and helthy again

• Violet_Z6
    20 years ago

geeta04,

No need to post your question in four threads at the same forum....

What type of soil did you use? Where is it located? inside/outside/shade/sun - is it in the same location where it was before you repotted?

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    19 years ago

I bought seeds yesterday of Murraya exotica, and the blurb on the back says the leaves can be used in curries. Now, after reading about Muraya koenigi here, I'm not so sure. Can the leaves of this species be used in this way? Also, the fruits, since the plant is related to citrus, does anyone know if they are edible, or at least safe with children?

• illinigirl
    19 years ago

this is my first season with the curry leaf plant. It's normally indoors (living in Michigan) but as the weather warmed up I moved it outside (still in the pot). Now I see ants crawling all over it. They don't appear to be eating it- I see no leaf destruction. But what are they doing? Should I try to eradicate the ants? Are they harmless? Should I bring the plant back inside?

Plant was dormant during the winter months, had a fast growth spurt in spring (while still indoors), lay dormant, and now I see another set of leaves growing from the top.

Any advice on the ants?

• fallow
    19 years ago

RE: Ants.

It would be worth checking to see whether the ants are "farming" either aphids or soft scale insects for their "nectar". The ants are unlikely to be doing any damage themselves, but if they are acting with aphids or scale, these will damage the plant. Both aphids and scale are succeptable to various insectidal soaps and oils. (Safer's Soaps and Neem Oil for example) Read the directions as both can burn some foliage in strong light and heat.

If you eliminate the "livestock" the ants will eventually find another place to "farm".

My experience has been that most plents accumulate parasites when they are in the greenhouse and lose them when they are outdoors and the competition is more intense.

Good luck.

• illinigirl
    19 years ago

Thanks for the ant info. Interestingly enough, the big ants went away, and now the plant is covered in small ants. Wierd. I havent' noticed aphids but with all the ants scurrying around i may have missed them. I will look into the insecticide (which I would have to do before bringing the plant inside in the fall anyways).

Thanks again,
    IG

• karus
    19 years ago

Neem oil is the safest way to get rid of ants. But you must be careful while using it. The best way is to use cotton swabs to apply it. Some varieties need to be diluted before use. And do remember to use small amounts.

• sunita
    19 years ago

The Curry Leaf plant needs full sun and not partial shade as someone had posted earlier. I have several of these plants as I use the leaves regularly in all my curries.
    When I first started growing them I had planted one in a partially shaded spot and the leaves were tiny and the plant just refused to grow taller than 2 feet tall. Then I transplanted it to a spot where it gets full sun throughout the year and what do you know? its over 7 feet tall now and still growing with a mini-forest of off-shoots all over the place. I dont water it much, maybe a little at the very peak of summer when temperatures are around 36*C. I do apply neem oil at times when I'm spraying it on my other plants.
    By the way Marguerite, curry leaves are fantastic in curries (obviously). You've got to strip off a few, tear it (to get the full flavour and aroma) and saute it in hot oil for a few seconds (watch it doesnt brown / burn) before adding any other ingredient. It adds that authentic touch to Indian curries.
    I've never heard of anyone eating the fruit of the curry leaf though.

• Shantihhh
    19 years ago

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/generic_frame.html?Murr_koe.html

wonderful info on curry leaf including photos of the trees, blossom, and fruit.

This site is my favourite for spices info. Cut and copy into your browser the given address.

Mary-Anne

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

How are all your Murraya koenigii plants doing now?

• chaman
    18 years ago

I was referring to young and tender plants germinated from seeds. In my experience they need partial shade and moisture in hot summer days for one to two years. Very hot summer days will kill one or two inches tall tender plants germinated from seeds.
    Suckers which are detached from roots of mother plants will nedd hot sun and moisture.
    Two to three years old plants germinated from seeds will do good in summer heat and moisture.

• vidnand
    18 years ago

Hi All,
    I'm looking for some murraya koenigii plants or seeds. I got some from Viji(Thanks a lot viji!) But they all died few weeks back. It will be great if somebody can give me some seeds or plants.

Thanks

• Violet_Z6
    18 years ago

vid_nand,

Please go to the first page of this forum, look just above the first post and click on the Exchanges link. Then post your request there. It is not necessary to spam the forum with multiple identical posts.

• chaman
    18 years ago

violet_z6 has made a good point.Searcing GW thru search help (at top of the page on right corner) will provide good informatiom.

• aj_boston
    17 years ago

Where can I buy them in Florida?

• chaman
    17 years ago

If you can not find one in Florida, contact www.pctgardens.com.

• aj773_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

unlike the thread above I am in UK and surprisingly the plant which is now 2ft has survived my not so green hands. Sunlight here is a rarity hence its all the more of a challenge for the plant to survive this long in inexperienced hands. It is kept in the kitchen where it is generally warm but cant substitute the sunlight, wish I could.

More recently it is getting black towards the growing tips. Fresh shoots develop but they soon turn black and drop off. They are watered sparingly (weekly) and get Babybio as the feed(2-3 drops while watering).

should I be doing anything or should nature take its course. any advise is helpful but bear in mind you are dealing with a not-so-green-hands.

aj

• reginaaginar
    16 years ago

Hi aj,
    curry plant needs full sunlight, well drained dry soil and needs to be fertilized once during the summer. Probably it is the lack of sunlight that is causing the problem. Maybe if you were able to reflect sunlight on to it with the help of a mirror.... Just a shot!
    You are lucky you have a curryplant :) I am looking all over the place for it and can do anything to own one ;)
    Regina

• vinodaggarwal_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have Indian curry plant. It is not growing There are pink color extremely tiny insects What insecticide do I use?

• seedssun
    13 years ago

Hello,

Do you have Curry leaf seeds?
    Do you have any other Asian/Indian veg seeds? We can exchange.

thanks

• a_jasmine_garden
    7 years ago

I have a curry leave plant for long many years now. . All of a sudden it lost its fragrance. almost have light lemon like smell. that too barely. I am so disappointed. Would you suggest any remedy for this? I used to put fish emulsion all these time. I think i made mistake of adding miracle grow instead. I am in California. I appreciate it very much.

• faelle
    7 years ago

a_jasmine_garden if I were you I would use citrus fertiliser on them. Apparently they like the micronutrients that are provided to them.

The mantra is: Weakly, weekly just like orchids :)

• Bhavani Pisharath
    5 years ago

Shmruthi,

I have the same problem as you have with your curry plant. I moved from NJ where I had a big curry plant in a big pot which I used to bring inside for the winter. There during summer and even if it is inside it used to grow and give so much leaves. I made this small plant from it and brought to Brentwood in CA. This is the Gamthi variety which is the original Indian variety, I think. Also I think because it's very dry here, it likes humidity. That may be the reason it's leaves are drooping though healthy. And I think it cannot be in the sun here in the summer when it is hot and dry. I am learning.

• Douglas Parker
    4 years ago

In order to make the whole tree grow smoothly, at least cut small steam once in a month.

This will make the tree grow in very manner. Yes, sun rays are also beneficial for it.

• HU-919375497
    3 years ago

How long does it take for a curry leaf plant to give fruits

• Kumar's Garden
    2 months ago

If you're looking to grow a curry leaf plant quickly and effectively, I highly recommend checking out this comprehensive guide on how to grow a curry leaf plant fast. It offers valuable insights and tips for nurturing your plant for optimal growth.

Additionally, if you're considering buying a new curry leaf plant, you can explore a wide selection of healthy curry leaf plants available at CurryLeafPlant.com. They offer quality plants that can be a great starting point for your curry leaf plant journey.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions or need further assistance with your curry leaf plant project! 🌿🪴

Sponsored