Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_0utsider

Bok Choi size

the_0utsider
15 years ago

I have bok choi that grows just under a foot tall then starts growing flowers(eventually seeds).

When i first grew bok choi, i bought the plant and it grew much larger. after the first plant the sizes have shortened to about 9-10" tall.

I buy new seeds each year. also, i have grown them in different places.

What makes the plant jump to growing flowers early?

Does water too much/too little do this?

Fertilizer?

Comments (10)

• kojac_phx
    15 years ago

Might try the linked thread. Sound like it could be (a) spring planted crops bolt and should be harvested young, try a fall crop for spring harvest to get the big ones or (b) which type of bok choy was seeded, dwarf varieties do better in spring. I should have some personal experience by summer. I've got 4 varieties going now, a mix of dwarf and regulars.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to keep bok choy from bolting

• macheske
    15 years ago

I grew Mei Qing Choi, Pac Choi from Johnny's this year. They seem to be a dwarf variety. Does anyone know? I'm starting to pick some for salads but am wondering if I should expect them to get bigger before bolting. They are also supposed to be more bolt resistant than others.

{{gwi:12169}}

• jimster
    15 years ago

macheskem, your Mei Qing Choi looks nice. I will be planting that, based on a previous recommendation here.

outsider, there are many varieties of bok choy, which range from tiny to huge. In your experience was the same variety grown each year?

Jim

• digit
    15 years ago

To toss my 2 cents in on the questions regarding water and fertilizer:

I think that bok choi could hardly get too much of either - well, within reason, that is. They appreciate moist, fertile soil.

I suspect your location turned hot a little early this year.

Bok choy is real quick. I do multiple plantings during the Spring, starting in the greenhouse and continuing with transplanting and direct-seeding in the garden. Sometimes things go well, sometimes they don't. But, until hot weather kicks in, bok choy will get multiple chances to "do good" and probably way better than half of those times - it will.

Steve

• mine_only
    15 years ago

Hi there!
    I started some bok choi seeds about 3 weeks ago and they have only just grown their first set of true leaves (about 1-1.5cm long).

Macheske: How long did it take you to get your bok choi to harvesting size?

• macheske
    15 years ago

I started them indoors about 4 weeks before I put them out. It took about 4 weeks outside before I started harvesting. I put in 36 plants and now I have more than we can eat for a short while until it gets to warm here for them.

• mine_only
    15 years ago

Excellent! So mine are heading in the right direction then. Thanks!

• teresa2008
    15 years ago

This is my first year gardening, but I am on my third round of bok choi.
    Batch 1) I started indoors, then moved outside once it warmed up a bit... these bolted VERY quickly.
    Batch 2) I winter sowed... these grew much larger and so far only one has bolted. Just stir fried my first harvest last night and it was delicious!
    Batch 3) I direct sowed in the garden about two weeks ago. They are looking good, but have a way to go.

I think that the first batch didn't do so well just because they stayed small much longer than they should have. By the time they finally started growing, they were already "older."

• jimster
    15 years ago

I've started harvesting my first crop of Mei Qing Choi and it is living up to expectations. It is flavorful and shows no signs of bolting yet. I don't remember who recommended it last year, but thanks. It's a good one.

Jim

• jimster
    15 years ago

Oh yeah. It was Steve (digit) who recommended Mei Qing Choi. Thanks, Steve.

Jim

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living